This is our first full week of summer heat! I’m not complaining…I love the change of seasons. I know this heat will turn into winter snow sooner than I realize it, so I’m enjoying it!
Today I have an Oriental Chicken Salad recipe for you, which will be light and refreshing for these hot summer nights.
I love the nutty flavor of this salad. The homemade dressing with oil and vinegar has toasted sesame seeds and sliced almonds in it, which gives a unique taste, different from other lettuce salads.
This is a great recipe if you happen to have leftover chicken. Either boiled chicken or grilled. We used boiled chicken for ours, but I’m betting a grilled chicken would give a great taste!
For this recipe, you’ll want to plan ahead just a little bit by making the dressing and chicken ahead of time. I toasted the sesame seeds and almonds, and boiled my chicken in the morning. While the chicken is boiling, you can make the dressing. Chop up the chicken, add the dressing, and then you’ll the mixture into the fridge. This way the chicken will be nice and cold, and the flavors of the dressing will be well blended in by the time you want to eat it!
When it comes time for dinner, you can quickly chop some lettuce and green onions, put your chicken & dressing on top, and you’ve got yourself a nice, cool dinner!
This Oriental Chicken Salad is light and refreshing for a hot summer night!
15 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and cut into bite-size chucks
- 3 green onions with tops, chopped
- 1/4 cup sesame seed, toasted
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 can (3 oz) chow mein noodles
- 1 head of lettuce, cut into small pieces
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- Cook the chicken breasts, however you like, either grilled, or boiled in water. Cut the chicken into bite-size chunks.
- Toast the almond slices and sesame seeds for about 5 minutes in a pan on the stove over low heat. Watch them carefully! They don't take long to get nice and brown.
- In a large bowl, add the chicken, almonds, sesame seeds, poppy seeds and green onions. Set aside.
- For the dressing, add the sugar, vinegar, salt, pepper and oil to a jar and shake to mix well. Pour the dressing over the chicken mixture and refrigerate until serving.
- Right before serving, mix the chicken in with the lettuce and top with chow mein noodles. Serves 6.
You may also like this Barbecue Chicken Salad!