I love food. I’m sure it is no surprise, since I am a food blogger, after all. You already know of my extreme love for sweet desserts. But there is really only one thing that I tend to crave. And that is burritos. I love Chipotle, Hot Head, Qdoba…it really doesn’t matter which place I get a burrito from, but a week doesn’t go by that I don’t wish I were eating a spicy burrito!
Last summer we started making burritos at home. Normally when we have homemade burritos, I use taco meat. And they are good. But when I really feel like making something special, I slow cook a hunk of roast beef or pork, make some homemade pico de gallo and throw a burrito together.
I hadn’t landed on a “carnitas” recipe that I really loved. We’d tried several and they were good, but two weeks ago a friend gave me this recipe that she had found on Allrecipes.com. Her family approved of the recipe, so she passed it on to me. And I’m so glad she did.
I’m happy to say this recipe was easy and was so tasty! For as much as I like Mexican food, I don’t like a strong “taco seasoning” flavor. These Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas are perfectly seasoned. They are so perfectly seasoned that I ended up having a burrito for about 3 days in a row. And the fact that they are “fix it and forget it” meal made in a slow cooker is an added bonus!
You can serve this on top of salad, in a burrito, or in a burrito bowl. It’s great with rice, black beans, lettuce, fresh salsa, cheese and sour cream. You can even eat it just on a sandwich bun along with a slice of your favorite cheese!
These shredded pork carnitas simmers in your slow cooker all day and makes burritos or salads with just the right amount of Mexican seasoning.
10 minPrep Time
10 minTotal Time
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon crumbled dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 (4-5 pound) boneless pork roast
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Place two bay leaves in the bottom of a slow cooker. Cut the pork roast into 4 or 5 pieces and place the pieces into the slow cooker. Mix togher the salt, garlic powder, cumin, oregano, coriander, and cinnamon. Sprinkle this on top of the pork. Pour the two cups of chicken broth around the sides of the pork, being careful not to wash off the spices that you've sprinkled on top of the pork.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours. The pork should shred easily with a fork. About an hour before serving, completely shred the pork and mix it in with the juices. Serve on burritos, salads or sandwich buns.
Recipe Source: AllRecipes.com