These simple Vanilla Shortcake Muffins are the ultimate pairing with a cup of coffee. The muffins are flavored with Coffee-mate’s Sweet Italian Creme creamer.
I have always loved waking up early in the morning. There’s something about those early morning hours that is refreshing and hopeful for a new day. When the kids were little, those early hours were the only quiet time in the day. If I got up before the kids got up, I felt like I had time to wake up before the lovely little ones started needing me for every little thing that little ones need their mommies for.
Even with the kids being older, I still love the morning. During that hour or so of quiet in the morning, I enjoy having a hot cup of coffee. I switched to decaf a couple of years ago out of necessesity. This lady and caffeine don’t mix well. But that doesn’t stop me from wanting a hot cup of coffee with creamer each morning.
Last week I tried Coffee-mate’s Sweet Italian Creme creamer for the first time. This creamer was the perfect balance of creamy and sweet. I loved how smooth it was! And I love a little sweet in the morning, so this creamer made my morning cup of coffee so much better.
I knew as soon as I tasted this Coffee-mate creamer that it would be so good baked into a muffin. After all, what goes better with a cup of sweet & creamy coffee than a muffin? I wanted to make a muffin that was simple and didn’t take away from the taste of the coffee that I was enjoying so much. These Vanilla Shortcake Muffins were the answer.
Think shortcake…think muffin…think vanilla…and then think of a sugary streusel on top. That is what you’ll get with these simple muffins. A sip of coffee…a bite of a muffin…you’ll look forward to waking up even if you are not a morning person.
Try Sweet Italian Creme or Coffee-mate’s newest flavor…Extra Sweet & Creamy! This new creamer gives the perfectly balanced cup of coffee…smooth and creamy with a bit of extra sweetness. If you are like me and need just a little more sweetness in your life, try Coffee-mate’s Extra Sweet & Creamy creamer today!
Coffee-mate has several flavors in this creamer family, such as Original, Sweet Italian Creme and Extra Sweet & Creamy. No matter how you like your coffee, you’re sure to find your ideal creamer in this line-up!
These simple Vanilla Shortcake Muffins are the ultimate pairing with a cup of coffee. The muffins are flavored with Coffee-mate's Sweet Italian Creme creamer.
15 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup Coffee-mate Sweet Italian Creme liquid creamer
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, (softened, but not melted)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. In a medium size bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, combine the oil, vanilla, sugar, egg and creamer. Mix well. Add this mixture to the dry ingredients and mix just until combined. Do not overmix! Divide the batter among 12 muffin cups that have been lined with a cupcake liner.
- In a small bowl, mix together the ingredients for the topping until you have coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon streusel topping on the top of each muffin.
- Bake the muffins for 5 minutes at 425 degrees, then, without opening the oven, lower the oven temperature to 375 degrees and bake for an additional 8-12 minutes. A toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin should come out clean.
- Makes 12 muffins.
The baking method for these muffins is based on Sally's Baking Addiction's muffin making tips. Her awesome method of starting the oven at 425 and lowering the oven to 375 after 5 minutes works every time for getting a tall muffin!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls Collective and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.