Make corned beef and cabbage faster than ever in your Instant Pot! Marinate corned beef in savory mix of maple syrup, dijon mustard and spices. 29
Corned beef is a traditional St. Patrick’s Day food…and one we don’t make enough! Although we like roast of any kind, corned beef is a unique must-make dinner.
Corned Beef and Cabbage Recipe’
I remember back to one of my first years of marriage. I thought I’d surprise Matt with a corned beef dinner. The meat was on sale so I figured it was a good time to try it. I don’t remember how I cooked it or what recipe I used, but it was awful. Matt tried to be kind and eat it but I ended up just throwing it all away. It was a few years before I was brave enough to try it again. This recipe using the Instant Pot is a winner!
What is corned beef?
Corned beef is a slab of beef (sometimes brisket) that is cured in a salt brine. You’ll find it in the grocery store meat department in a plastic packaging with liquid. That liquid is the brine.
Is corned beef really Irish?
The answer is actually no! According to this article, corned beef and cabbage is a Irish-American tradition that is not held to in Ireland. Corned beef was produced in Ireland, but the Irish didn’t eat it because it was too expensive. It wasn’t until Irish got to America and had a little more money to spend on beef that they started eating the meat their ancestors were known for.
Is corned beef and cabbage bad for you?
Corned beef is high in salt and can sometimes be high in fat. Try to get a lean cut of corned beef. It’s something you can enjoy every now and then but you wouldn’t want to have it all the time. Cabbage on the other hand is very good for you!
How to Cook Corned Beef
For our recipe, you’ll need to plan a little ahead so you can allow the roast to marinate in this sweet marinade.
- Discard any spice packets the corned beef comes with.
- In a large bowl, marinate corned beef with maple syrup, mustard, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and marjoram for 15 minutes or up to 2 hours.
- For the Instant Pot, pour beef broth in the bottom of the Instant Pot. Place a basket or liner in the pot and put the roast in that basket.
- Set the IP to high pressure for 90 minutes.
- Allow the IP to naturally depressurize.
- Then remove the beef to a casserole and cover the casserole so it stays warm.
- Then it is time to steam the cabbage.
To make the cabbage in the Instant Pot, you’ll want to use a steamer basket. Place 1/2 cup water in the bottom of the pot, then place the basket in and fill it with cabbage and carrots. Steam for 4-5 minutes on high pressure. Quick release the cabbage and open the IP once all of the steam has escaped.
How to Make Corned Beef in the Crock Pot
Place the marinated beef and beef broth in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours. Steam the cabbage and carrots on the stovetop or in the microwave.
What sauce goes with corned beef?
We recommend your favorite mustard sauce to go with corned beef. We love dijon mustard or spicy brown mustard. My husband loves it with horseradish.
What should I serve with corned beef?
Other Roast Beef Recipes
- Garlic Herb Crusted Roast Beef
- Swedish Pot Roast
- Slow Cooker Beef Stew
- Garlic Bacon Pot Roast
- Peppercorn Sirloin Roast Beef
Corned Beef and Cabbage
For the corned beef:
- 4 pounds corned beef
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 3 teaspoons garlic powder
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons marjoram
- 4 cups beef broth
For the cabbage:
- 8 ounces baby carrots
- 1 head of cabbage cored and quartered
- ½ cup water
- In a large bowl, marinate corned beef with maple syrup, mustard, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and marjoram for 15 minutes or up to 2 hours. *Discard any spice packets the corned beef comes with.*
- Pour 4 cups of beef broth into the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Using an insert or basket for the Instant Pot, add in the corned beef and set to high pressure for 90 minutes. Once the timer is up, press cancel and allow for a natural release.
- Once the Instant Pot has depressurized, remove corned beef to a casserole dish and cover to allow to rest.
- Drain the Instant Pot.
- Put a basket in the IP with the carrots, cabbage and water. Cover the IP and cook for 4-5 minutes on high pressure.
- Serve corned beef alongside the cabbage and carrots.