Breakfast never looked so good…or made you feel so good! Low Carb Gluten Free Blueberry Scones have fresh blueberries and a hint of lemon. This recipe uses almond flour which also makes them fit the paleo diet!
Paleo Blueberry Scones
Baking with grain free flours can be a little tricky. That doesn’t mean you don’t need a gluten free breakfast treat every now and then!
How to Make Gluten Free Scones
- The base of this recipe starts with almond flour. That makes this recipe not only gluten free, but also fits in the paleo diet. You’ll need three cups of blanched almond flour.
- Lemon zest and juice will give the paleo scones a fresh flavor.
- Maple syrup adds a touch of sweetness. Be sure to use 100% pure maple syrup.
- When you mix everything up the dough will be thick and sticky.
- Add in the cleaned and dried fresh blueberries. You can use other fresh fruit if you’d like, too!
- Use an ice cream scoop to make about 9 dollops of batter onto a non-stick baking mat. Once the batter is on the baking mat, slightly flatten the dough into a disc shape.
- If you make 9 scones, bake them for about 20 minutes. The tops should be golden brown. If you make the scones larger or smaller, you’ll have to adjust the baking time.
How to Rewarm Scones
These scones are best served warm and fresh. If you need to store them, wrap them in an airtight container and refrigerate them. To rewarm the scones, wrap them in a damp paper towel and microwave for at least 20 seconds or until they are as warm as you’d like. Serve with coffee or tea!
Other Gluten Free & Paleo Recipes
- Gluten Free Chicken Meatballs
- Gluten Free Pistachio Cookies
- Gluten Free Breakfast Casserole
- Gluten Free Angel Food Cake
Tools to Make This Recipe
- Silpat: For all of your non-stick, cookie-making needs. This is in the top 3 must-have kitchen tools. I don’t know what I’d do without them!
- Baking Sheet: I like to use flat baking sheets for easy removing baked goods easily.
- Pastry Mat: This silicone mat keeps your cupboard clean and makes rolling out pastries so easy.
Breakfast never looked so good...or made you feel so good! Low Carb Gluten Free Blueberry Scones have fresh blueberries and a hint of lemon. This recipe uses almond flour which also makes them fit the paleo diet!
- 3 cups blanched almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 325 F and line a baking sheet with parchment or silicone liner.
In a large bowl sift together the almond flour, baking soda and a pinch of salt.
- Add the lemon zest and mix well.
- Make a well in the center of the flow mix and crack 2 eggs.
- Add the maple syrup and the lemon juice and mix well until it forms a sticky dough.
- Fold in the blueberries.
- Using an ice-cream scoop, drop the batter onto the prepared baking sheet. Slightly flatten the top of the mounds to form a round shape.
Bake for 20 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack and store the leftovers in an air tight container in the fridge.
Serve with tea or coffee.
Fresh blueberries works best for this recipe. To refresh the scones, wrap the cold scone in a damp paper towel and microwave it for 20 to 45 seconds, depending on the power of the microwave. It would be “oven-fresh”.