What is the best way to cook asparagus? With bacon…on a grill! This grilled bacon wrapped asparagus is an easy vegetable side dish for summer picnics. Only two ingredients needed and the asparagus cooks alongside your main dish! You may also love our grilled potatoes.
Grilled Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
Summertime means lots of grilling time! I feel like summer makes for easy meal planning because all I ever want to do is throw meat on the grill. Hamburgers, steaks, pork chops…you name it, I’m good with it! Side dishes can often be a little trickier, but today we’re showing you how to make bacon wrapped asparagus on the grill. Easy, delicious…and it cooks right alongside your main dish. But honestly, served with some fruit and maybe a salad, this could very well be a main dish itself!
How much do you cut off of asparagus?
The first step to this recipe is preparing the asparagus.Wash and dry the asparagus spears. There is normally a woody stem to the asparagus that you’ll want to break off and discard. This part is about an inch of the bottom of the stem. You can bend the bottom and the spear should naturally break right above the woody stem, leaving you with a tender asparagus spear that will taste delicious.
Bacon Wrapped Asparagus Bundles
You can leave the asparagus spears whole if you’d like and wrap a slice of bacon around it, but we think it is fun to make bacon bundles. Cut each asparagus spear into three sections, then wrap a piece of bacon around those three pieces. Our packages of bacon generally have about 12 slices which means you’ll need about 12 spears of asparagus.
What temperature do you cook bacon wrapped asparagus?
Set your grill to about 350 degrees. This will allow the bacon to cook evenly alongside the asparagus. You can also do this in your oven on a 2-piece broiler pan so the bacon fat drips down through the holes.
How long should I cook bacon wrapped asparagus?
Cook the asparagus about 2 minutes over the direct flames, turning them constantly. Then move them to the outer edges of the grill away from the direct flames to cook for an additional 18 minutes or so. You’ll want to watch the bacon wrapped asparagus bundles closely so they don’t burn. Turn them often during the cooking time.
Whole30, Paleo and Keto Side Dish
Prepared this way, this bacon wrapped asparagus makes a deliciously healthy side dish. If you’re following a special diet, be sure to use bacon that doesn’t have sugar in it. We find the bacon gives it the perfect amount of flavor so it doesn’t need any additional spices or brown sugar rubs.
Other Vegetable Side Dishes
Grilled Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
- 12 asparagus spears
- 12 ounces bacon (12 slices)
- Wash clean and dry asparagus. Snap off the bottom inch or so of the asparagus. It will naturally break above the woody stem. Cut the remaining part of the asparagus spear into 3 pieces.
- Wrap each bundle (of 3 pieces) of asparagus with a slice of bacon.
- Heat grill to 350.
- Place bacon wrapped asparagus into center of grill for 2 minutes, continuously turning.
- Move bacon wrapped asparagus to the outer edges of the grill and continue to cook for 18 minutes with lid closed, for a total cook time of 20 minutes. During that time, turn and flip the asparagus every few minutes to keep the bacon from burning on any sides.
- Remove from grill and serve immediately.