Fluffy and light, extra lemon scones drizzled with the most perfect fresh strawberry glaze. These baked Lemon Scones with Strawberry Glaze are the perfect pick-me-up in the morning alongside a cup of hot tea.
I always feel like I’m trying to give up on my first love.
It’s hard guys. That smell of freshly brewed coffee with my favorite creamer…and I’m done. Even though you mess with my skin and give me the jitters, I just can’t quit you, coffee! Whenever I’m on that “down with coffee” kick, I always reach for my second favorite hot drink. The good ‘ole Earl Grey standby. With cream of course. I’ve been trying all sorts of teas lately so I’ve been feeling totally British.
So what goes best with a nice cup of tea? These Lemon Scones with Strawberry Glaze of course! I know you saw that coming. So if you want to feel perfectly British, grab your favorite hot tea and make these light and fluffy lemon scones. They’re incredibly tender and have the perfect lemon bite to them. My favorite part is that crunchy top from the sprinkle of sugar right before baking.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter cut into small cubes
- 1/3 cup sugar plus more for sprinkling
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 cup Finely Chopped Strawberries
- 1 teaspoon milk
- Preheat your oven to 400 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- With your mixer, combine the flour, butter, sugar, baking powder and salt until it resembles wet sand.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the 3/4 cup of cream, 2 eggs, lemon zest and vanilla extract.
- Add the cream mixture to the flour mixture until just incorporated.
- Take the dough out of the bowl and form into a flat disc about 8 inches across and 1 1/2 inches thick. Using a large knife, cut into 8 wedges and transfer to the parchment paper.
- Make an egg wash with an egg and the 3 tablespoons of cream and brush the tops. Sprinkle a generous amount of sugar.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes until the tops are golden brown.
- In a food processor combine all ingredients into the glaze. Add more sugar for a thicker glaze. Drizzle on top of scones.