It has been so. cold. the past week.
I’ve found myself each afternoon sneaking to Matt’s side of the closet and pulling down his hoodies. His big hoodies are just so much warmer and cozier than my sweatshirts.
After getting cozy in his sweatshirt, the only thing that could make the afternoon better is a hot cup of coffee.
We love coffee at our house. We normally don’t get too fancy with our coffee. In fact, you’ll mostly find me drinking black, decaf coffee, morning or night.
When we do splurge on a coffee, a Peppermint Mocha is one of our favorites at this time of year. Chocolate, coffee, peppermint, whipped cream…what’s not to love?
When I saw these Hershey’s Candy Cane Kisses, I knew I wanted to make a mocha flavored cookie for them to go on in honor of our favorite Christmas coffee.
These Peppermint Mocha Cookie Cups start with a basic double chocolate chip cookie recipe. For a change, I threw in mint flavored chocolate chips and some instant coffee granules.
Then I filled them with our homemade mocha buttercream. Remember that from this recipe? It’s pretty much melt-in-your-mouth amazing.
You can then top it with crushed candy canes, a Hershey’s Candy Cane Kiss, or both!
These cookies are so versatile.
We made cookie cups in both mini muffin tins and in regular size muffin tins. I love that by using regular muffin tins, you get more of a “cupcake” look. But they are big, and definitely can’t be eaten in one bite! The cute little mini cookie cups fit just right on your cookie tray.
You can use regular chocolate chips instead of mint flavored in the cookies and leave off the peppermint kiss on top for a straight chocolate mocha flavor.
Either way you choose, you’ll love these cookie cups!
Double chocolate chip cookie cups filled with mocha buttercream.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 teaspoons Nescafe instant coffee powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 11/2 cups Hershey's mint chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups butter, softened
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 4 tablespoons hot strongly brewed coffee
- 2 candy canes, crushed, optional
- Hershey's Candy Cane Kisses, optional
- In a large bowl, beat the butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla extract and coffee powder until light and fluffy. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt together in a separate bowl. Stir the flour mixture into the butter mixture and mix until well blended. Mix in the chocolate chips.
- Press cookie dough on the bottom and sides of a muffin tin that has been sprayed with cooking spray. It can be either regular size or mini. One recipe will make about 26 mini cookie cups or about 16 regular size cookie cups.
- After you have formed the cookie cups in the muffin tins, refrigerate the unbaked cookie cups for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake the mini cookie cups for 12-14 minutes, or until the cookie is set. Bake the regular size cookie cups for 15-17 minutes. After removing the cookies from the oven, use the rounded handle of a kitchen utensil to make a little impression in the center of the cookie cup. This gives the perfect place for the buttercream to fill.
- Mocha Buttercream: In a stand mixer bowl, whip the softened butter on medium speed until it is almost white in appearance. Add the powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Mix on low speed. Then add in the hot coffee and whip the buttercream on medium speed for 3-4 minutes, or until light and fluffy.
- Spoon the buttercream filling into the cooled cookie cup, or use a decorating bag and a large Wilton cake decorating tip (such as 1M) to make a swirl of buttercream in the cookie cup.
- Top with crushed candy canes and/or a Hershey's Candy Cane Kiss.