Easy baked chicken parmesan has a garlic parmesan crust and is smothered in rich tomato sauce. Top with cheese and bake in the oven for a delicious dinner! You may also love our cornflake chicken.
Baked Chicken Parmesan Recipe
If there’s one meal that my children will eat without complaint, it’s chicken parmesan. Although there are several ways to make this classic dish, this method that we’re sharing today is our favorite way. It starts out in the skillet to get a crispy crust, and finishes in the oven to get that baked on Italian flavor.
How do you flatten chicken?
We start most of our chicken recipes by flattening the chicken slightly. Chicken breasts come rather large now, and are usually thicker on one end than on the other. Flattening the chicken breasts allows for more even cooking. So how do you flatten chicken? Here’s our method.
- Place the chicken in a zippered bag.
- Use a meat mallet or a rolling pin and pound the chicken to an even thickness. You don’t necessarily have to pound the chicken thin, just try to even out the thickness.
How do you make chicken parmesan?
After you’ve flattened the chicken, you may want to cut the chicken breasts into two pieces. As I said, chicken breasts can be rather large, so we cut them in half to make two smaller pieces. So 3 large chicken breasts will make 6 pieces of chicken parmesan.
- Mix together the breading for the chicken. Then dip each chicken piece in milk, then cover them in the breadcrumbs.
- Get a skillet ready with some oil and heat it over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, brown the chicken breasts…about 2 minutes or so on each side is all that is needed to get a crispy chicken crust.
- After you’ve browned the chicken, place it in a greased 9×13 baking pan.
How long do you bake chicken?
- Cover the pan with foil and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes.
- Remove the foil and top the chicken with tomato sauce, fresh mozzarella, provolone and freshly snipped basil. Bake uncovered for another 10 minutes, or until the chicken tests done.
What temperature should chicken be cooked to?
Chicken should always be baked to an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Test it with a thermometer for the best results. If you don’t over bake the chicken, it will be juicy!
**We LOVE our Thermoworks ThermaPen to quickly test meat temperatures. This probe thermometer is AMAZING. Get it here.**
What to serve with chicken parmesan?
We like chicken parmesan best served with a side of spaghetti and garden salad. It also goes great with the following:
Other Chicken Recipes
- Garlic Parmesan Chicken
- Honey Garlic Chicken Wings
- Easy Chicken Marinade
- Grilled Lemon Lime Chicken Marinade
- Buttermilk Chicken
Baked Chicken Parmesan
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1/4 cup olive oil (for browning the chicken)
For the Parmesan Breading:
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 3 slices provolone cheese
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella (cubed)
- 1/4 cup freshly snipped basil
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- The chicken breasts we used were large (3 chicken breasts = 2 1/3 pounds). If the chicken breasts you are using are also large cut them in half to get 6 pieces.
- Place the chicken breasts in a zippered bag. Use the side of a meat tenderizer to pound the chicken breasts to 1/2" thickness throughout so they cook evenly.
Bread the Chicken:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl, mix the breadcrumbs, cheese, parsley, salt and pepper. Place milk in another shallow bowl.
- Dip chicken in milk, then roll it in the crumb mixture.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, place the chicken pieces in the skillet and cook until browned on each side (about 2 minutes per side).
- Place the chicken in a greased 9x13 baking pan. Cover the pan loosely with foil and bake for 15 minutes.
- Uncover the pan and top the chicken with tomato sauce, provolone, fresh mozzarella and basil. Bake uncovered for an additional 10-15 minutes or until the chicken tests done. The baking time will depend on the thickness of the chicken, so be sure to check it to make sure it is thoroughly cooked. The internal temperature should be 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- After baking top with the remaining parmesan cheese.