This Orange Yogurt Quick Bread is low in fat and has no refined sugar, but is full of amazing orange flavor.
Orange Yogurt Quick Bread
What do you think when you think orange? Do you think orange popsicles? The color orange? An orange smoothie?
I used to not be big on the orange flavor in things, unless it was a Skittle, popsicle, or just a plain orange. I also loved that it would flavor my spinach smoothies to make them taste good! I was still nervous about the orange flavor itself in baked goods, that is, until I tried our orange creamsicle truffles. Yes, those won me over.
Those truffles, to me, were the gateway to orange heaven. I was confident in trying this new bread my mom made while I was away at cousin camp last week. Even though the first loaf mom made needed work, I knew she had something.
Two loaves later, we have the perfect Orange Yogurt Quick Bread.
Let’s talk about why this orange loaf is so great. Well, for one, believe it or not, this is actually a pretty healthy bread. It has no refined sugar. It’s sweetened with honey and orange juice concentrate. Also, it is low-fat, because it has no egg yolks, uses Greek yogurt, a touch of coconut oil. The nice subtle orange flavor makes you feel like you’re indulging, but you’re actually eating something healthy!
Let me describe the texture of this bread to you. It is light, soft and very moist like a quick bread should be. We baked this bread at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, then we put tinfoil over the bread for the last 10 minutes of baking so the crust didn’t get too brown. It gave us just the right golden color we wanted.
If you are a orange fan like I am, you will certainly love this bread!
Orange Yogurt Quick Bread
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil melted
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/2 cup orange juice concentrate
- Zest from 1 orange about 2 tablespoons
- 1/3 cup honey
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda and baking powder. Set aside.
- Using a stand mixer or handheld mixer, beat the egg whites until they are frothy. Mix in the yogurt, oil, milk, orange juice concentrate, zest and honey just until combined. Be sure to scrape the bottom of the bowl, as the honey will settle to the bottom.
- Add 1/2 the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Use a rubber spatula to gently fold the ingredients together a few times. Then add the rest of the dry ingredients. Fold gently just until the mixture is combined. There may be still a few lumps of flour and that is OK. Don't overmix!
- Spray a 9x5 bread pan with cooking spray and then put a light coating of flour on the bottom and sides of the pan. Spoon the batter gently into the pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degees. Cover the bread with aluminum foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the bread to cool for 5 minutes, then turn the loaf out onto a cooling rack.