When a chocolate craving hits, it’s time to make a small batch Puppy Chow for One! The perfect sweet and salty snack mix for any time of the day.
We have a dangerous addiction in our house: Puppy Chow. Kinslee is our officially snack mix maker. I went years with only eating this at picnics and parties, never making it at home. And then Kinslee fell in love with it and realized how crazy easy it was to make.
And it all went downhill from there. On any random afternoon in our house, you’ll find Kins in the kitchen making her own personal sized puppy chow for one.
Why You’ll Want Puppy Chow for One:
- after a heart-wrenching breakup
- lazy afternoons
- life is giving you too much stress
- you’re too lazy to actually bake
- when you want to annoy your family by one making one serving
- or simply just sweet cravings
Why is it called puppy chow?
This easy snack (sometimes called Muddy Buddies) is a popular midwest snack. It’s actually human food…not for puppies at all. But it resembles dog food (and actually has ties to Purina dog food)! This recipe was created by General Mills back in 2002. It’s now a classic comfort food.
What are the ingredients for muddy buddies?
You only need 4 ingredients:
- Chocolate chips. Semi-sweet chocolate chips are best so that the mix doesn’t end up too sweet. Don’t use mini chocolate chips…they won’t melt smoothly.
- Peanut butter. Creamy peanut butter is best, but you can use chunky if you’d like. You could also use almond butter if you have a peanut allergy.
- Rice Chex. We prefer rice Chex, but you can use corn Chex in a pinch. Actually, we’ve used Rice Krispies, too! When the craving hits, you make do with what you have.
- Powdered sugar. If you want to cut back on calories, try using Lakanto Monk Fruit powdered sugar.
How to Make Puppy Chow
There are three steps:
- Prepare. Place the chocolate chips and the peanut butter in a medium microwave safe bowl.
- Melt. Melt in 30 second intervals, mixing in between, until it is completely melted and smooth.
- Mix. Add the cereal and mix until it is coated. Add the powdered sugar and mix until coated.
The mix will be slightly melty for awhile until the chocolate hardens up. If you want to speed up that process, place it in the fridge.
Does puppy chow need to be refrigerated?
This snack mix is safe to store at room temperature. You’ll want to be sure it is in an airtight container.
Puppy Chow for One
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 cups Rice Chex cereal
- 3/4 Cups Powdered sugar
- Place the chocolate chips and the peanut butter in a medium microwave safe bowl.
- Melt in 30 second intervals, mixing in between, until it is completely melted and smooth.
- Add the cereal and mix until it is coated. Add the powdered sugar and mix until coated.