There’s nothing like a picnic with some juicy burgers, savory baked beans, and a classic potato salad recipe. The combination of those three things together equal summer at our house! Looking for a healthy potato salad? Try this one!
Classic Potato Salad Recipe
Easy Potato Salad is a staple at all of our family gatherings.
I’ve found over the years that there are many different types of potato salad, and each person seems to have their own liking. Whether it is mustard, mayo, full of veggies, no veggies…everyone needs a classic potato salad recipe for those summer gatherings!
How do you make traditional potato salad?
The traditional potato salad recipe I grew up with was not all that different than the classic potato salad recipe with mustard that my husband’s family grew up with. The recipe that I attached onto was this one called All-American Potato Salad from my hubby’s Great Aunt, and I found it in a family recipe book his aunt gave us for a wedding gift. (By the way…a family recipe book is a great idea for a wedding gift. I’ve loved having those family recipes right on hand!)
This recipe is fairly simple.
Potatoes, eggs, cucumber and dressing.
And because it is so simple, the kids even like it. 🙂
What potatoes are best for potato salad?
Red potatoes work the best for potato salad because they hold their shape well during the boiling process. Don’t have red potatoes? Use an all-purpose round white potatoes. Russet potatoes will soften a lot during cooking so although they tastes good, they won’t hold their shape as you mix the salad.
Do you cut the potatoes before boiling them to make potato salad?
This classic potato salad recipe without celery is my favorite because it is full of….Potatoes!! We wash our potatoes, peel them, then chop them into 1 inch cubes. Then we boil them. This has always been the easiest way for us!
What goes in potato salad?
Many people will add celery, onion or even pickles to potato salad. Feel free to add whatever veggies you’d like! We stick with just potatoes, eggs and cucumber.
Watch us make this easy summer side dish!
Classic Potato Salad Recipe
- 5 pounds potatoes
- 6 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 1/2 cups salad dressing Miracle Whip or mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups diced cucumber
- Wash, peel and cut potatoes into bite-size pieces.
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until the potatoes are tender (15-20 minutes depending on the size of the potato chunks.). Drain the potatoes and put them in a large bowl.
- Put the eggs in another saucepan and add water to cover them. Bring the water to a boil, and then let the water and eggs boil gently for 5 minutes.
- Drain the eggs and cover them with ice cold water. Allow the eggs to sit in the cold water while you mix up the dressing.
- For the dressing, combine the sugar, salt, mustard, salad dressing, vinegar and pepper. Mix until completely combined. Set aside.
- Once the eggs are cool enough to touch, drain the water. Peel the eggs and dice them, then add them to the potatoes.
- Pour the dressing over top the eggs and potatoes and mix until the potatoes are covered.
- After the salad is completely cooled, add the diced cucumber. If you add this while the potatoes are still warm, it will soften the cucumber.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.