Wondering what to do with leftover hard boiled eggs? Try this Amish cheesy egg potato casserole with hashbrowns for an easy dinner recipe.
What is your favorite way to eat hard boiled eggs? I like them any way I can get them. I’ll eat them whole, in potato salad or chopped up in a leafy green salad. I go crazy for my favorite egg salad recipe and if I make deviled eggs? You can bet the family will have them devoured in a flash.
Here’s another hard boiled egg recipe to try: Egg Potato Casserole. I found this unique recipe in my favorite Amish cookbook and thought it would be great to share with you. Because it is that time of year when you may have a few spare hard boiled eggs sitting around!
I like using frozen shredded hash brown potatoes as a shortcut in this recipe. It’s fairly quick, but you do have to make your own white sauce. Don’t be scared off by this. It’s easy and takes less than 10 minutes. Stir the milk often so that it doesn’t scorch on the bottom of the pan and you should be good to go!
One last thing…I show the eggs sliced in the photos, but the kids prefer that I chop the eggs up and sprinkle them over the potatoes. That way they are more bite-size. Make it whatever way your family prefers it!
Egg Potato Casserole
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon sage
- Dash of paprika
- 30 ounces frozen shredded hash brown potatoes about 7 cups
- 6 large hard-boiled eggs peeled
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- 25 saltine crackers crushed
- To make the white sauce, melt the butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Once the butter is melted, add the flour and whisk until clumps are gone.
- With the saucepan over medium heat, add 1 cup of milk and whisk until smooth.
- Add the remaining milk and heat to boiling, whisking often so the milk does not scorch. This will take about 10-12 minutes.
- Allow the milk to boil for 2 minutes, then remove from the heat and stir in salt, pepper, sage and paprika. Pour the white sauce over the shredded potatoes, mix and set aside.
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray a 9x13 baking pan with cooking spray.
- Pour and spread half of the shredded potatoes on bottom of the baking pan.
- Slice each hardboiled egg lengthwise, making 4 slices for each egg, equaling 24 slices.
- Lay the egg slices down flat, covering the potatoes.
- Pour and spread the remaining potato mixture over the eggs.
- Sprinkle the cheese overtop the potatoes.
- In a small bowl, combine the melted butter and cracker crumbs, stirring until the crackers are coated evenly.
- Sprinkle the cracker crumbs overtop the cheese.
- Bake at 375 for 30 minutes.
- Serve warm.