One Skillet Mediterranean Chicken is a healthy dinner packed with veggies and protein and fresh herbs that will be on the table in under 30 minutes.
Have you ever grown your own herbs? This is the first year that I’ve ever tried. OK…I take that back. I tried one other year to grow cilantro and it went to seed before I even realized it was ready to use. This year, though….I tackled a herb garden and had success.
And I must say I’m hooked. Fresh basil, oregano and cilantro? Just about the best thing ever. Fresh herbs are one of the staples of Mediterranean cooking, and will make this One skillet Mediterranean Chicken so much more flavorful with this easy upgrade.
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- Fresh vegetables and chicken make for a healthy dinner.
- Ready in 30 minutes.
- Fits Whole30, Paleo and gluten free diets.
Mediterranean Chicken Skillet Recipe
This skillet dinner gets its flavor from freshly snipped basil and oregano. It’s full of chicken, fresh tomato, onion and olives. Olives are a classic Mediterranean ingredient and Mediterranean flavors take center stage in this sugar free, heart healthy dish. It takes just one skillet and you’ll have dinner on the table in under 30 minutes.
How to Cook Chicken in a Skillet
You’ll cook this Mediterranean Skillet Chicken in three steps.
- First you’ll cook the chicken through. I use chicken tenderloins cut into bite size chunks. This helps the chicken cook more quickly. You can use a different cut of meat if you’d like (chicken breast or thighs work well).
- Remove the chicken from the skillet and saute the onions, then add in the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the tomatoes, olives and herbs. Simmer this mixture together so the flavors blend.
- Then add the chicken back in to heat through. Easy as that!
How to Serve Mediterranean Chicken
One Skillet Mediterranean Chicken
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken tenderloins
- 1 medium red onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes 15 ounces, with liquid
- 1/2 cup California Ripe Black Olives sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano*
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil*
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes yellow or red
- Salt/pepper to taste
- In a large cast-iron skillet, heat the tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the chicken and saute it until it is browned through, about 10 minutes, stirring often. Remove the chicken to a plate.
- Add the teaspoon of olive oil and onions to the skillet. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add the canned tomatoes, olives and herbs. Cook for 6-8 minutes.
- Add the chicken and tomato halves and heat through.
- Serve over rice or potatoes.