What’s better than a peanut butter cookie with Nutella® hazelnut spread on top?! These easy and fantastic Peanut Butter Thumbprint Cookies with Nutella® Hazelnut Spread are sure to be a hit in your home this Christmas.
Today’s post is sponsored by my friends at Nutella®, but all opinions are my own.
The holidays are right around the corner and everything is in overdrive around here. Gift giving, party planning, tinsel and lights hanging on every branch…we’re busy and I know you are, too!
One of my favorite parts of the Christmas season is taking a day to bake cookies. With Christmas music playing softly in the background, we girls throw on our aprons, turn the oven on and bake until we can’t bake anymore. Although I never met a cookie I didn’t like, the girls like giving simple, traditional cookies a little twist. Peanut butter cookies? A classic. But then…Maddie had the idea to put Nutella® hazelnut spread on top of them. Brilliant. Anyone who finds these Peanut Butter Thumbprint Cookies with Nutella® hazelnut spread on your Christmas cookie tray will be pleasantly surprised to take a bite into these decadent treats! This recipe is a unique twist on the classic ‘blossom cookies’ we all love during Christmastime.
Are you ready for an incredibly simple way to enjoy your peanut butter and Nutella® together in one cookie?! Honestly, I couldn’t think of a better way to enjoy this Christmas.
Peanut Butter Cookie Dough
The first thing that you’re going to do is mix up the peanut butter cookie dough. It’s hard not to eat this amazing stuff, but trust me- it tastes even better with the Nutella®! As you’re mixing up the butter, peanut butter, and sugars, beat them with your stand mixer or hand-mixer for a minute or so. Then, you’re going to mix in the eggs and vanilla well. Finally, add the flour, baking soda and salt in and mix until just combined.
Make the cookie dough balls about 1 1/2 inches, or whatever size you prefer, roll them in sugar and bake at 375 degrees for 7 minutes. Immediately after baking, you’ll want to use a small spoon or your thumb to make little indents in your cookies. Allow the cookies to cool completely.
Nutella® Filled Cookies
This next part seems tricky, but it’s not at all! Filling the cookies with a giant heap of Nutella®, in my opinion, is the best part. All that you have to do is take a plastic bag, fill it part way with Nutella®, and cut a hole in the tip of it so that you’re able to squeeze it out. That’s it! The Nutella® has just the right consistency to hold its shape on top of the cookie.
I’ll just warn you, these delicious Peanut Butter Thumbprint Cookies with Nutella® Hazelnut Spread are hard to say no to. The classic cookie paired with that much loved hazelnut chocolate spread is a combination that will have everyone everyone smiling when they get them! Add these cookies to your Christmas cookie plate or give them as a gift to a teacher, neighbor or friend.
Peanut Butter Thumbprint Cookies with Nutella® Hazelnut Spread
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar for rolling
- 2 jars Nutella® hazelnut spread (26 ounces)
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter, peanut butter and sugars. Add vanilla and mix. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking soda and salt. Add to mixture in mixing bowl and mix until well combined.
- Use a cookie scoop to measure out the cookie dough and roll the dough into 1 1/2 inch balls.
- Roll the cookie dough balls in the white sugar.
- Place the dough balls on a non-stick baking mat and refrigerate the cookies for 30 minutes.
- Bake the cookies at 375 degrees for 7 minutes. If you like cookies to be soft, be sure not to overbake them. They shouldn't be browned at all.
- After the cookies cool, put the Nutella® in a piping bag or into a plastic baggie. Cut about 1/4 an inch off the corner and squeeze a 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons of the Nutella® hazelnut spread onto the cookies.
- Store in an airtight container.