Pimento Cheese Ham Salad combines two classic Southern dishes into one delicious dish ready to pack to all your summer potlucks and picnics.
Who grew up eating ham salad? I didn’t grow up in the south. I’m an Ohio girl. But my mom always made ham salad. And she’d use the grinder attachment on her Kitchen-Aid stand mixer to make the ham really fine and spreadable on a sandwich. There was something about the combination of salty ham and sweet pickles. It’s one of those foods from my childhood that I still crave and make.
I don’t own a grinder myself but a food processor can do the job too. Or you can finely chop your ham with a knife before mixing it into the salad. So while classic ham salad is terrific I decided to combine it with another one of my favorites, pimento cheese. Ham and cheese, it makes perfect sense, right? And it’s so simple and quick to mix together. You can make it ahead and have it ready when you are for a warm weather outing. Or for packing lunches. I like it as a sandwich or if you are going easy on the bread just serve it as a lettuce wrap!
If you like this Ham and Pimento Cheese Salad head over to my blog for my mouth-watering recipe for Summer Broccoli Pasta Salad. It’s a popular dish to take to a potluck too!
Pimento Cheese Ham Salad
- 12 oz smoked or country ham ground or finely chopped
- 4 oz sharp white cheddar cheese grated
- ½ sweet onion finely diced
- ¼ cup bread and butter pickled sweet, finely diced
- ¼ cup diced pimentos drained
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ tsp salt
- Add all ingredients to a mixing bowl. Mix together with a spatula or wooden spoon until well combined.
- Refrigerate in an air-tight container for at least one hour before serving. Can be kept in the refrigerator for
- up to three days.