Pina colada cupcakes – Enjoy tropical flavors of pina colada drink in these cupcakes. These are kids friendly and perfect to enjoy fresh pineapples.
PINA COLADA CUPCAKES
When summer starts knocking the door, I look out for opportunities to try different drinks recipes. Especially, to enjoy spring and summer fruits like strawberries, pineapple, watermelon etc. I love making some of my favorite summer drinks like this pineapple mojito, strawberry, and pineapple sangria, peach lemonade to name a few.
However, when it comes to enjoying tropical flavors, pina colada tops the charts. I am absolutely in love with this creamy pineapple and coconut drink. The best thing that I love about this drink is how it is served. A cute little umbrella with a vibrant red cherry on a bed of creamy white drink along with fresh pineapple chunks is really inviting. Personally to me, it feels like having an indulgent dessert more than a drink.
So pina colada has everything in it to call it a dessert. Then why not make cupcakes using all of its flavors? So, today I’d be sharing with you these tasty pina colada cupcakes which are perfect to enjoy seasonal fresh pineapples.
How to make Pina Colada Cupcakes?
Combine dry ingredients like flour, baking powder, and baking soda. In another bowl whisk sugar with egg and oil. Add pineapple pulp, coconut milk, mix until well combined and then add dry ingredients. Transfer the batter to a cupcake pan. Bake them in a preheated oven until well done. Once the cupcakes cool down, top them with a cream cheese frosting. Garnish with cherry and fresh pineapple chunk and, do not forget the umbrella!
Make these cupcakes this summer. I am sure you will fall in love with these tempting flavors of pina colada. You will want to make them again and again. Moreover, these are lighter, kids friendly and perfect to please the crowd.
Pina Colada Cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 4 Tablespoon olive oil (or butter)
- 1/2 cup pineapple pulp
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp light coconut milk (or full fat)
- 6 oz light cream cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoon unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 1 Tablespoon pineapple pulp
- pinch of turmeric
- 12 maraschino cherries
- fresh pineapple chunks
- umbrella toothpicks
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- In a mixing bowl sieve dry ingredients like flour, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In another bowl add egg, oil, and sugar. Whisk until the sugar dissolves. Add pineapple pulp*, coconut milk and gently stir to combine.
- Then add flour mixture gradually into wet ingredients and gently fold to mix well.
- Transfer batter to a paper-lined cupcake pan and fill the cups 2/3 full. Bake them for 18-22 min at 350 F. Once cupcakes are baked cool them down to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, prepare frosting. Add cream cheese, butter, sugar, pineapple pulp and turmeric in a medium bowl and beat to mix well or until it gets to a stiff peak.
- Before serving, pipe the cream cheese frosting onto cupcakes.
- Garnish them with maraschino cherries, fresh pineapple chunks, and umbrella picks to get the feeling of tropical pina colada drink.