Slow Cooker Sausage, Green Beans and Potatoes makes an easy main dish recipe with simple flavors that that will satisfy the hunger of the whole family.
Slow Cooker Sausage, Green Beans and Potatoes
I am in a constant state of dinner frustration.
We like to eat dinner as early as possible. I’d eat dinner at 3:30 or 4pm if I could. With kids’ busy sports schedules, it is often after 6pm before we are ready to sit down and eat. And by that time? I either don’t want to cook anything or am tired of looking at food (because food is my job) and don’t want to eat anything that we have in the fridge.
Because of all those things, it’s a struggle to get a healthy dinner on the table.
My one life-saver? The slow cooker. If I can throw ingredients in the slow cooker before I start into my work day, dinner is set and there is no frustration.
This slow cooker sausage, green beans and potatoes dinner is one that I used to make all the time when we were first married. I got the recipe from my mom. She’d use fresh garden green beans when they were available. So anytime the harvest season rolls around, I think of this slow cooker sausage dinner.
I haven’t made it as much in the past few years as I used to. My kids had actually forgotten about this dinner and thought it was a brand new idea. They devoured it and even ate the leftovers for lunches the following days. High-fives to me for not only getting a healthy dinner on the table, but also taking care of lunches!
Here are the simple instructions for this slow cooker sausage dinner:
- Slice up an onion. You can chop the onion to hide it better from the kids. 🙂 Or you can just leave it in slices. Throw this in the bottom of a slow cooker.
- Add potatoes. I used a 3-pound bag of Green Giant Red Potatoes. They were mini potatoes, so I just threw them in whole. If there is a bigger potato in the mix, chop them in halves or thirds so that they cook more quickly.
- Fresh green beans. I used 2 packages of Pero Family Farms washed & ready-to-use beans (both green and yellow). Adding fresh produce to dinner really couldn’t be any easier!
- Chopped Sausage. For adding meat to the mix, I chose smoked sausage, chopped it into slices and added it to the slow cooker. Feel free to use kielbasa, spicy smoked sausage…whichever your family loves the best!
- Lastly, pour 2 cups of chicken broth overtop everything.
Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or on low for 7-8 hours. Add salt and pepper to taste and you’re ready to scoop up a 1-pot dinner!
Slow Cooker Sausage Green Beans and Potatoes
- 1 red onion sliced
- 3 pounds Green Giant Red Potatoes mini-size, washed
- 12 ounces Pero Family Farms washed & ready-to-use green beans
- 10 ounces Pero Family farms washed & ready-to-use yellow beans
- 28 ounces smoked sausage sliced
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Parsley, salt & pepper to taste
- Place the sliced red onion in the bottom of a slow cooker.
- Add the potatoes, green beans and smoked sausage.
- Pour chicken broth overtop the ingredients.
- Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 4-6 hours, until the potatoes are tender.
- Season with parsley, salt and pepper, to taste.