A shortbread bottom and gooey toffee and pecan layer on top make these one-bowl Toffee Pecan Shortbread Bars so decadent!
Happy Monday, friends! I’m super excited about this week. Want to know why? It’s actually supposed to get up to about 55 degrees. For some of you, that may be cold. But for us here in the lovely state of Ohio? It’s about 45 degrees warmer than it has been for much of the past two months. And that is exciting.
Although I think snow is pretty and don’t mind it being cold for awhile, two months of temperatures anywhere from -15 to 20 degrees just chills me to the bone.
Last Saturday was one of those “I can’t get warm!” days, so Maddie and I spent the morning baking. Having the oven on helps warm the house so much! These Toffee Pecan Shortbread Bars have been on my baking list for awhile. This recipe comes from our Aunt who is an talented baker. She made these bars at Christmas and I had to have the recipe!
What makes these bars so appetizing to me is the crust. It’s thick, buttery, and slightly sweet. Think shortbread…thick shortbread.
The top is a simple mixture of sweetened condensed milk, vanilla, toffee bits and pecans. Mix it all together and put it on top of the pre-baked shortbread. Bake it again and this is what you end up with:
How can you resist that thick topping and gooey crust?
These bars are pretty awesome on their own. But I love chocolate, and I love drizzling chocolate over anything I can get my hands on. Cookies, bars, pies…if a sweet treat sits in the kitchen for any amount of time, it will most likely end up having a shower of chocolate. I use Candiquik, because it melts quickly and sets up quickly. This chocolate drizzle would also be a good way to use up a partial bag of chocolate chips that may be sitting around your cupboards.
If you love sweet, buttery bars, make these Toffee Pecan Shortbread Bars soon!
Toffee Pecan Shortbread Bars
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup butter melted
- 8 ounces Heath Bits o' Brickle Toffee
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk (1 can)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium size bowl, mix together the flour, sugar and melted butter. Press this mixture into the bottom of an 8" square baking pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
- In the same bowl, mix together the toffee bits, sweetened condensed milk, vanilla and chopped pecans. Pour this mixture onto the crust. Bake for another 20 minutes until the top is bubbling.
- If desired, melt two squares of chocolate Candiquik (Candiquik is split into 16 squares. Use two of these.) in the microwave according to the package directions and drizzle the chocolate over top the baked bars.
- Allow the bars to cool completely, then cut them into squares.