Grilled chicken adds such a depth of flavor to this creamy white grilled chicken chili. Let it simmer in your slow cooker all day for a meal that your family will love!
So I know at some point spring is coming, right? Please tell me it is. We’ve had cold weather again this week. Matt and I are training for a half marathon and having to run in the freezing cold is killing me. We’ve had a handful of runs in 50 degree weather. I can’t wait until that is a consistent thing. There’s been days when my face is literally frozen in place when I come in from running. It’s not a pretty sight.
One thing that makes me happy on cold days is a good slow cooker chili. I love throwing the ingredients in at the start of the day and letting the soup simmer all day long. As the aroma fills the house, I can hardly wait until dinner time! This White Grilled Chicken Chili recipe is adapted from my sister-in-law’s recipe. She made her version of this soup for us when we were visiting about a year ago. I loved it and finally got around to asking her for the recipe. I added in a few extra spices…gotta keep the hubby happy! 🙂
This white chili is extra special because it has grilled chicken in it. Now, you don’t have to grill the chicken first if you don’t want to. But, I highly recommend taking the time to grill the chicken because it adds such an amazing depth of flavor to this soup! You can use leftover grilled chicken from a previous meal or you can grill chicken at any point in the day and throw it into the soup when the time is right for you. We added our grilled chicken right at the beginning of the day, but it doesn’t have to be added then. You can grill some up when you get home from work and throw it in last minute if that is what works for you!
Another thing that makes this soup stand out is that it has a block of cream cheese added in to make it creamy. Just put that block of cream cheese on the top of the soup when the soup has about 30 minutes to an hour left of simmering. The cheese will soften and melt. Use a wire whisk to stir it all together at the end of cooking. You could also add whole milk if you’d like. If you don’t want a creamy white chicken chili, you can completely leave out the cream cheese or milk and just have the broth as a base.
The kids gobbled this soup by the way…even with the beans in it. They even fought over the leftovers. That’s the sign of a winner!
White Grilled Chicken Chili
- 64 ounces chicken broth
- 3 cans Green Giant Steam Crisp Mexicorn (11 ounces each)
- 2 cans navy beans, rinsed and drained (15.5 ounces each)
- 2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained (15.5 ounces each)
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2-3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts skinless chicken breasts, grilled and cut into bite-size pieces
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- Add all of the ingredients above to a slow cooker in the order listed, saving the cream cheese until the end of cooking.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high from 4-5 hours.
- When the soup has about 30-60 minutes left of simmering, add the cream cheese. As the cream cheese melts, use a whisk to mix the soup and to help the cheese to melt in completely.
- Serve with cheese, sour cream and tortilla chips, if desired!