These whole grain chocolate cupcakes are so moist you’d never believe they were whole grain! The dark chocolate peanut butter frosting takes these over the top good!
I’m so excited to be sharing this recipe with you today! These cupcakes are made with a little known ingredient – barley flour! Barley flour is a low gluten flour (not gluten free) that is perfect for baking, especially cupcakes. In fact I’d bet no one would even know if you didn’t tell them 😉
But if you don’t have any barley flour on hand, don’t despair! Cake flour or even all-purpose can easily be subbed for part or all of the barley flour.
I made these for my husband and father for Father’s Day. Deep, dark chocolatey goodness topped with more dark chocolate and peanut butter. They deserve the best!
My husband went with my older son to see the new Jurassic Park movie. My little guy and I secretly made these while they were gone. When dad got home, he couldn’t resist yelling, “Cupcakes Daddy, cupcakes!!” Secrets are so hard when you are four 😉
Don’t worry about using natural or organic peanut butter (the kind you have to stir the oil into). This frosting was made with creamy natural peanut butter, and it worked beautifully. The frosting is not quite as light and fluffy as a traditional frosting, it has a more fudgy consistency. There is the teeniest bit of texture from the peanut butter, so I beat it an extra minute for smoother results. Since peanut butters brands can vary in their consistency, I recommend holding back some of the milk until you see how yours is coming together. If it seems too thick, go ahead and add the full 1/2 cup.
I hope you enjoy these whole grain chocolate cupcakes!
Whole Grain Chocolate Cupcakes
For the cupcakes
- 2 Cups Barley Flour 7.5 ounces
- 2/3 Cup Dark Cocoa Powder (I used Hershey's Special Dark) 2 ounces
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 2/3 cups Sugar 11.5 ounces
- 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
- 4 large Eggs
- 1 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 Cup Coffee Cooled
- 1/2 Cup Milk
For the Frosting
- 8 Tablespoons Butter, Softened 4 ounces
- 1/2 Cup Natural Peanut Butter
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 4 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
For the Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cocoa powder. In a separate bowl whisk together the milk, eggs, vegetable oil, and coffee. Add this to the dry ingredients. Mix until everything is well combined, about one minute, being sure to scrape down the bottom and sides of the bowl so all the ingredients get mixed properly.
- Line your muffin tins with paper liners. Fill the cups 2/3 full with the batter. Bake 20-22 minutes. Muffins are done when a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. After baking, remove to a cooling rack.
For the Frosting
- Beat together the butter and peanut butter. Once they are smooth, stir in the cocoa powder. Alternate adding the milk and powdered sugar, reserve some of the milk unless your frosting is not creamy enough. Frost the cooled cupcakes.
- Store in the refrigerator. Allow cupcakes to return to room temperature before serving for best flavor.