A simple tangy and spicy marinade covers these Christmas kebabs with top sirloin steak, peppers and pearl onions.
Christmas Kebabs Recipe with Peppers and Onions
A Christmas kebabs recipe that does not involve sugar, chocolate or peppermint. We’re leaning towards the healthy side of the holidays today!
First, Christmas kebabs. A necessary recipe because we’ve still got two weeks until Christmas and I’m already in a sugar coma. These are the holiday-filled afternoons of baking cookies. The days when I arrive at dinnertime completely full because I’ve eaten all.the.dough.
These easy-to-make Christmas kebabs are fun because the red and green peppers make them festive, but they are good for you. Just simple ingredients that all fit into a Paleo diet. And if you’re crazy enough to be doing a Whole30 the month of December? These may just be your lifesaver.
To keep this recipe quick and easy, I like to prepare the veggies and beef the day before. I make the marinade, slice the beef, peel the pearl onions and cut the peppers. Then I allow the beef and peppers to marinate (in separate bowls) overnight. The day that I want to serve these Christmas kebabs, I simply skewer them on 5″ wooden skewers in a festive pattern and broil them for about 3 minutes on each side. Depending on how quickly you can skewer kebabs, that makes this about a 10 minute recipe.
Delicious and quick. That’s what I need this hectic time of year!
- 20 fresh pearl onions (about 5 ounces)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 24 ounces Certified Angus Beef® top sirloin steak
- 2 red bell peppers
- 2 green bell peppers
- 16-20 5" wooden skewers
- Soak the wooden skewers in water for at least 12 hours before baking the kebabs.
- Heat water and pearl onions in a small saucepan. Bring the water to a boil and then reduce heat to low. Cover the saucepan and simmer 3 minutes or until the onions are just tender. Drain the onions. Once the onions are cool enough to handle, peel away the outer layer of skin from the onions. Cover the onions and refrigerate them until you are ready to assemble the kebabs.
- In a small bowl, combine the oil, vinegar, pepper sauce, basil, garlic and salt. Mix well.
- Cut the steak into 1" chunks. Place the steak cubes in a bowl.
- Cut the red and green peppers into 1" chunks. Place the papers in another bowl.
- Pour half of the marinade over the beef and stir well. Pour the other half of the marinade over the vegetables and mix well. Cover the bowls and allow them to marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.*
- To assemble the kebabs, alternate skewering the beef, peppers, and onions until you've made 16-20 kebabs. The exact amount will depend on how big you've cut the meat and the length of the skewers.
- Place the oven rack on the third level down from the top. Set the oven to broil on high.
- Broil the kebabs for 3 minutes, then turn them and broil for an additional 3-4 minutes, or until the beef is done to your liking.
- Serve immediately.
The calories shown are based on the recipe making 16 skewers, with 1 serving being 1 skewer. Since different brands of ingredients have different nutritional information, the calories shown are just an estimate.