An easy spice blend makes this sirloin Mexican steak a quick, healthy dinner solution. Top with cream avocado salsa for a family-friendly Paleo and Whole30 recipe idea! Need more recipe ideas? Check out our Whole30 cookbook!
I’ll have to admit, before our Whole30 days, I could probably count on one hand the number of times I had eaten steak in my life. I thought it was OK, but knowing what cut of steak to buy from the store was a bit intimidating to me. And when I’m at a restaurant? There are just too many other choices and I never could bring myself to land on steak.
My hubby on the other hand could eat steak for every single meal. I feel badly that we’ve been married for so long and steak was never a meal I fixed him.
That has all changed since we’ve been trying to eat healthier. Steak at a restaurant happens more often than I’d like to admit, and it is quite the treat to have at home, too.
This Mexican Steak & Avocado Salsa is one recipe that has quickly become one of our favorites. If you like Mexican seasonings, you’ll love the seasonings that get grilled into this Mexican steak. And the creamy avocado salsa that goes on top? The perfect, healthy indulgence. Lightly spicy, full of flavor.
Here’s some hints for grilling steak:
- We like to grill top sirloin steak, since it is a lean cut of meat. It has great flavor.
- You’ll want to season your steaks at least 40 minutes before grilling to allow the flavors to infuse the beef.
- Grill this steak for 8-10 minutes, depending on thickness, and depending on how done you like it. We cook ours medium to medium (internal temperature of 150 degrees). I’ll admit…it has taken me awhile to get used to having a little pink inside. I’ve always been a “well-done” girl. But the pink is really OK…your steak will be juicy and taste perfect!
- Take your steaks off 5 degrees before they reach your desired temperature. The temperature of the steaks will continue to rise as they sit.
Serve this steak with Chipotle style cilantro lime rice!
Buy our downloadable Healthy Dinner Recipes Cookbook with 22 of our most popular healthy main dish recipes including Paleo, Whole30, gluten free and sugar free options!
Watch us make this Mexican Steak Live on Facebook!
Mexican Steak with Avocado Salsa
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- pinch salt
- 1 1/2 - 2 pounds sirloin steak
- 1 avocado peeled and diced
- 2 small Roma tomatoes diced
- 3 tablespoons cilantro freshly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix all of the steak seasonings together and rub on steaks about 40 minutes before grilling, covering well.
- Preheat grill to 400 degrees.
- Grill steaks for 8-10 minutes, flipping once during the grilling.
- Cook the burgers to the desired doneness. To read the internal temperature of the beef, stick a meat thermometer into the side of the steak. Rare: 125 degrees; Medium Rare: 135 degrees; Medium: 145 degrees; Medium Well: 150 degrees; Well done: 160 degrees.
- Remove steaks and burgers from the heat when the thermometer registers 5°F lower than the desired doneness. Cover the burgers with aluminum foil and allow them to sit for 5-10 minutes to keep the juices in.
- Make the avocado salsa just before serving. For avocado salsa, mix the salsa ingredients together in a bowl. Serve on top of the steak.