Ready for the best mashup in the universe? Pizza Popcorn!! All the flavors in pizza – Tangy tomato, aromatic basil, oregano, garlic powder and crushed pepper flakes are baked into popped corn kernels. And of course, vast amounts of cheese – Because pizza must always have cheese! Try this addicting Pizza Popcorn today!
So pizza and popcorn. Everyone loves them. There is something comforting and homey about pizza and popcorn. Pizza is that one easy meal you gravitate towards when you’re feeling rushed, or that comforting dish when you feel super blue. Pizza is what think of when you’ve earned a cheat meal. Pizza with its intoxicating scent and perfectly balanced flavors. Pizza is somewhere in the brain.
Popcorn is for nights in. Cold nights watching movies hugging on your hunny or cuddling the kiddos. Popcorn is first dates and hanging out with friends. Its unmistakable scent draws you in and before you know it, you’ve eaten a bucket full.
Naturally I had to combine the two. Oh, yeah – I went there. Pizza flavored popcorn. I took all the flavors of traditional pizza – Tomato sauce, spices, and cheese – And mixed them into a super flavorful pizza popcorn situation.
This popcorn comes together quickly. And yes, there is some baking time. It’s quick, though.
How to Make Pizza Popcorn
You pop popcorn using your favorite popcorn popping method (this sentence makes me giggle).
I used tomato paste instead of tomato sauce. I discovered the hard way: Tomato sauce makes popcorn soggy.
To the tomato paste I added melted butter, basil, oregano, parsley, a little garlic powder, crushed red pepper flakes, and salt. All my pizza favorites. I urge you to play with the flavors here. Go hard on the basil if that’s your deal.
This yummy pizza sauce is mixed into a giant bowl of popcorn and baked until dry. Make sure you divide the popcorn between two cookie sheets before baking. This ensures even baking and prevents a soggy popcorn kernel situation. I almost forgot: Just before the popcorn is out of the oven – Finely grated cheese – Mozzarella and parmesan. You can do either/or. I highly encourage both. It’s mind blowing.
So there you have it. This addicting mashup – Popcorn that tastes like pizza. Saucy, spicy, cheesy.
You may have found a new spirit animal.
Ready for the best mashup in the universe? Pizza Popcorn!! All the flavors in pizza – Tangy tomato, aromatic basil, oregano, garlic powder and crushed pepper flakes are baked into popped corn kernels.
- 1 1/4 cup unpopped corn kernels
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2-3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup finely grated parmesan
- 1/2 cup finely grated mozzarella
- Pop your kernels, old school style:
- Set the heat to medium-high. Add coconut oil to a large pot with a lid. Add the kernels and
- cover the pot. When you hear the first sound of kernels popping, reduce heat to medium-low and allow the kernels to pop completely.
- Every minute or so, give the pot a shake to ensure all your kernels have been hit with a heat situation (this will make them all pop). Remove from heat and set aside.
- You can choose to pop popcorn using a popcorn maker of choice. Personally, I swear by my Whirley Pop .
- Make the pizza sauce mixture:
- Preheat the oven to 250° Fahrenheit and line 2 (MUST BE 2, though 3 would be better!) cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine tomato paste, melted butter, oregano, basil, parsley, garlic powder, crushed red pepper, and salt. Mix to combine. Taste to adjust seasonings.
- Pour the popcorn in a very VERY large bowl, followed by the pizza sauce mixture. With clean hands, mix to distribute the mixture into the popcorn kernels.
- Spread the popcorn kernels between the parchment lined cookie sheets and bake until mostly dry, about 8-15 minutes (depending on your oven), tossing every couple of minutes to help spread the pizza goodness.
- A couple of minutes before removing from the oven, sprinkle cheese evenly over the popcorn and allow to melt.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- This popcorn is best enjoyed the day it’s made.