Kernels of delicious popcorn are mixed with a homemade ranch mix! This Ranch Popcorn is addictive, tasty, and super easy to make!
Along with warm weather, May brings with it a little something I like to call “Netflix Binge Watch Month”. It’s not an official term, I made it up. I mean, we CAN make it a thing, but I’m not sure I have this much influence over the actions of humans. I’m not that popular yet. One thing is for certain, “Netflix Binge Watch Month” is happening in the M.O.B. household.
So many shows! Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is back and I left those 13 episodes embracing my inner Titus Andromedon. I managed to fit in a few episodes of ‘Master of None’ between Kimmy Schmidt and just started watching Sons of Anarchy. My days are spent using waaay too much brain power. My nights are happily full of mindless TV.
Binge watching makes me hungry, so I like to have a few snacks on hand. One of my favorite snacks, hands down is popcorn. Popcorn is easy to make and you get a lot of bang for your buck. Popcorn is healthy(er) than potato chips and because it’s such a blank canvas, it’s super easy to customize.
This Ranch Popcorn is my new favorite. It starts with a ranch mix, a quick mix made with dried herbs – parsley, dill, chives. Garlic powder, onion powder, and dried minced onions are the aromatics here. The mixture is seasoned with salt and pepper. Milk powder is added, like all ranch mixes. This ranch mix makes about one cup and is enough for 2-3 batches of popcorn, give or take.
The rest of the popcorn making is simple – Pop your popcorn, melt some butter. Mix ranch mix with melted butter and distribute that situation among popped corn kernels.
I make several batches of the ranch mix and keep it on hand. When I’m binge watching a show, or crave a nice satisfying snack – I reach for my popcorn pot, pop a nice batch of popcorn, and add this ranch mix.
Binge watching month never tasted so good!
For the ranch mix:
- 2 1/2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 2 teaspoons dried dill
- 1 tablespoon dried chives
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup powdered milk
For the popcorn:
- 1 cup Unpopped corn kernels
- 2-3 tablespoons Coconut oil
- Unsalted butter melted and slightly cooled - 5 tablespoons
- 1/3-1/2 cup Ranch mix
Make the ranch mix:
- Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk together until combined. Transfer mixture to an
- airtight, sealed container until ready to use.
- Makes about 1 cup of ranch mix.
- Pop your kernels, old school style:
- Set the heat to medium-high. Add coconut oil to a large pot with a lid. Add the kernels and cover the
- pot. When you hear the first sound of kernels popping, reduce heat to medium-low and allow the
- kernels to pop completely.
- Every minute or so, give the pot a shake to ensure all your kernels have been hit with a heat situation
- (this will make them all pop).
- Remove from heat, transfer to a very large bowl and set aside.
- OR!! If you own a popcorn maker (such as a Whirley Pop) pop your popcorn according to manufacturer’s
- In a small bowl, combine the melted butter and ranch mixture. Mix to form a paste. Taste and add more
- ranch mix as needed.
- Pour the ranch paste over the popcorn and with clean hands mix to distribute as evenly as you can.
- Consume immediately.
You might also like: