There’s nothing that says “fall” like a bowl of chili. It hasn’t always been this way for me. When I was younger, I was never a chili lover. I remember my mom making a pot of chili and making a small pot of the same chili without beans for us kids. Chili was tolerable. Chili with beans was not tolerable.
Times have certainly changed. I’d make a big pot of chili to eat on every week if it were up to me. What made me fall in love? Our favorite sweet and spicy chili recipe that you can find here. It’s thick. It’s meaty. It’s full of beans and tomatoes. And it’s slightly sweet. I love my chili just a tad bit sweet.
Since we are trying the best we can to eat a paleo diet at meal times, my favorite, most-loved chili recipe was off-limits. One of my goals this fall was to take that recipe and make it fit into a paleo, clean-eating diet. With no beans and no sugar, how did we do it? We added in veggies! Carrots and sweet potatoes to be exact.
When I took the first bite of this chili after it had simmered in my slow cooker all day, I was so pleasantly surprised. It actually tasted sweet! You see, those wonderful little sweet potatoes baked right into this chili and gave it the perfect amount of sweetness. Learning how to cook without sugar, grains and dairy hasn’t been easy, so when I have a victory like this, it makes my week!
This soup will make a decent sized batch of chili, so you’ll be sure to have leftovers for a busy night or for lunches. And it can easily be made in the slow cooker, making it easy for you to throw together in the morning and have it calling your name when you get home at night.
Do you need a grain free bread to go with this soup? Try it with these dinner rolls. If you’re not limiting grains, may I suggest this Asiago Cheese Bread? It’s simply amazing with a bowl of hearty soup.
I believe this meal fits in with the Whole30 eating plan. It fits in close enough for us, anyway. If you’re looking for a low sugar, healthy option for soup night, you won’t be disappointed with this recipe!
Indulge yourself in a bowl of spicy chili that is full of beef and sweet potatoes. It's thick, rich and slightly sweet while being grain free, sugar free and dairy free.
- 2 lbs. hamburger
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 large can (29.5 oz) can tomato sauce
- 2 cups petite diced tomatoes, with juice
- 3 cups beef stock
- 3 carrots, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 5 small sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 4-5 cups)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1/2 cup chili powder
- dash of oregano
- dash of red pepper flakes
- In a large saucepan, brown hamburger, onions and garlic. Drain off the fat. Add the remaining ingredients to the saucepan. Mix well, bring to a boil and simmer for about 30-40 minutes or until the sweet potatoes and carrots are cooked through.
- Slow Cooker Option: Instead of simmering the chili on the stove, you can brown the ground beef, add the other ingredients, then put it all in your crockpot and let it simmer on low all day (6-8 hours) or on high for 4-5 hours.
I normally make this in the slow cooker. I love the flavors after they slow cook together all day!