This Cherry Pineapple Marshmallow Jello Salad is a long-time family favorite recipe. There’s a cherry layer paired with a tangy lemon cream cheese layer.
To some, jello salads are strange. Combining fruit, Jello, marshmallows and calling them a “salad”, just doesn’t seem right. But to this midwesterner? It’s comfort food.
Jello salads can be a nice change of pace from the traditional desserts. This particular Cherry Pineapple Marshmallow Jello Salad is one that my mom used to make often. Buckle up cause it has a surprising ingredient, but this was one of my favorite jello desserts when I was young.
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- 3 layers including flavors of raspberry, cherry, pineapple and lemon.
- Bright and colorful, sweet & tangy.
- A great make ahead dessert for family dinners.
- Low calorie options to make it lighter.
This layered jello has 3 parts:
- Cherry pie filling and raspberry jello. Have you ever had pie filling and jello mixed? So. Good.
- Lemon jello, cream cheese, cool whip, pineapple… and mayonnaise. Yes…you read that right…mayonnaise. The combination of these 5 unlikely ingredients make a tangy, creamy layer that goes perfectly with the cherry bottom layer.
- And on top? Lots of mini fruity marshmallows. This layer adds just the right amount of sweetness to a couple of tangy layers.
Plan ahead. Although this recipe doesn’t take long to mix up, you’ll need time for the first layer to set, then time for the whole dessert to set.
- If you’d like to make this into a lighter dish, feel free to use sugar free pie filling, sugar free jellos, light cream cheese, light mayo, light Cool Whip. Or use any combination of those things. We’ve used many different combinations over the years with excellent results each time.
- One recipe fills a small glass pan. You can use either 11×7” or 9×9″ size. We’ve also doubled the recipe and put it into a 9×13 pan.
- Use cherry jello on the bottom instead of raspberry.
- Try lime jello in place of the lemon jello for the middle layer. This would give a red and green holiday look.
Cherry Pineapple Marshmallow Jello Salad
- 3 ounces raspberry jello
- 2 cups boiling water divided
- 21 ounces cherry pie filling
- 3 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 3 ounces lemon jello
- 1 cup crushed pineapple with juice
- 1/2 cup whipped topping
- 2 cups fruity mini-marshmallows
- Dilute a 3-ounce package of raspberry jello in 1 cup of boiling water. Mix in one can of cherry pie filling. Pour this in a 9×9 or 11×7 pan. Let set in the refrigerator.
- In another bowl, beat a 3-ounce package of cream cheese with 1/3 cup mayonnaise until smooth.
- Dilute a 3-ounce package of lemon jello in 1 cup of boiling water. Add this jello to the cream cheese mixture and mix well to combine.
- Fold in 1 cup of crushed pineapple (with juice) and 1/2 cup whipped topping. Spread this on the cherry mixture.
- Add 2 cups of fruity mini marshmallows to the top of the lemon layer. Let set in the refrigerator for at least 5 hours.
- Serve chilled.