Key Lime Sheet Cake is a citrus take on buttermilk sheet cake, with a light frosting with a hint of lime, this cake is great for summertime gatherings.
KEY LIME SHEET CAKE
I am on a dessert kick lately. Not a great idea since it is summer swimsuit season. Oh well! Guess I will have to hit the gym. 🙂
During the summer I crave ALL the fresh citrus flavors. Key lime pie and lemon squares are always on my list to make. The tart, bright flavor just goes well with the warm weather. This key lime sheet cake is no exception. It is one of my favorite citrus desserts. A yummy combination of tart and sweet.
Sheet cakes are simple to make and I love that they feed a crowd. Made in a sheet pan, the cake itself is on the thin side but that allows for a nice cake to frosting ratio. Because after all, you can never have too much frosting.
How to Make Key Lime Sheet Cake
This lime sheet cake is easy to make, you don’t even need a mixer. Start with a big bowl and whisk together sugar, flour, baking soda and salt. Next, I juice enough limes to get 1/4 cup of juice. About 2 limes. Bring lime juice and water to a boil. Just stick it in the microwave until it bubbles.
Pour the boiling water and lime juice into the flour mixture and stir. Add the melted butter and stir until combined. Next mix in buttermilk, vanilla, lime zest and eggs. Pour the cake batter into a greased 11×17 rimmed baking sheet pan. Bake for 15 minutes and cool.
How to Make Key Lime Frosting
To make the lime frosting, stir together melted butter, powdered sugar, milk, vanilla and lime juice. Spread over the cake and then top with extra lime zest.
This is a great dessert for summer BBQ’s, family reunions, birthdays, you name it! A little scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side and you are set. Enjoy!
Key Lime Sheet Cake
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup butter , melted
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 2 large eggs , beaten
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Zest of one lime
- 1/2 cup butter , melted
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- lime zest for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Grease 11x17 rimmed baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, flour, baking soda and salt.
- Stir in melted butter and boiling water and lime juice.
- Mix in vanilla, buttermilk, eggs and lime zest. Stir until smooth.
- Pour batter into baking sheet and bake for 15-17 minutes. (Until toothpick inserted comes out clean.)
- Cool cake for 15 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, stir together melted butter, powdered sugar, milk, vanilla and lime juice. Stir until smooth.
- Spread frosting on cake.
- Top with extra lime zest for garnish.