Bright, tangy lemon bars recipe with a shortbread crust and lemon custard filling. A simple powdered sugar dusting makes these fruit bars a classic!
Lemon Bars Recipe
If you’re a lemon lover, you’re going to go CRAZY for these bars. And let’s be real… even if you’ve never liked lemon bars in your life, you’re going to go crazy for these bars. They’re simply just that good. And the best part about them is that they’re not that hard to make!
I’m serious. I’ve made these only one time and it took me maybe 15 minutes to get them in the oven! If you’re wanting literally the BEST dessert ever that doesn’t require you being the 3rd-time winner of the Cupcake Wars, you’ve come to the right place.
Obviously, I’m going completely insane because of these amazing lemon bars. You can either sit there and keep judging me for it, or you can make these and see what all the fuss is about. (Trust me, it’s actually worth it.)
The crust for these easy bars are just three ingredients: flour, powdered sugar and butter. This is one of my favorite crusts to make. Easy and buttery delicious.
Lemon Bar Filling
What gives the bar lemon flavor? Lemon juice and a touch of lemon zest. Sometimes we get crazy and use the zest of a whole lemon. Because we really, really love lemon. It doesn’t sound like these bars would have that much flavor, but they really do!
Other Lemon Recipes
For the Crust:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter
For the Lemon Filling:
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons sifted powdered sugar for the topping
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 9x9 baking pan on the bottom and the sides.
- Combine the flour and sugar in a small bowl. Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter until you have coarse crumbs.
- Pat the shortbread mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes.
- While the crust is baking, combine the egg, sugar, juice, flour, baking powder and lemon zest in a bowl. Beat until smooth.
- Pour the mixture over the warm crust.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Cool the bars and then sprinkle them with sifted powdered sugar.
- Cut into 12 squares and store the bars in an airtight container.
The calories shown are based on the bars being cut into 12 pieces, with 1 serving being 1 bar. Since different brands of ingredients have different nutritional information, the calories shown are just an estimate.