Crisp lemon shortbread cookies dipped in white chocolate and topped with pistachios. A pretty spring cookie bursting with flavor. Love sugar cookies? See all our recipes!
Lemon Shortbread Cookies
The warm weather is here, and it makes me crave all things lemon. The bright, fresh flavor works so well in baking. Sometimes I make cakes like a simple lemon ricotta cake, or lemon blueberry pound cake. Since it’s time for outdoor parties and get togethers I want to share a recipe that’s perfect for entertaining. For those times when you want to serve something a little sweet but not heavy. Lemon shortbread cookies are a great dessert for sharing!
Lemon Cut Out Cookies
These delicate little cookies look pretty, but they are simple to make. Shortbread cookie dough whips up in just a few minutes. A little lemon extract and lemon zest give the dough that burst of flavor. I chose a fluted cutter for something a little different, but feel free to use a plain circle cutter or whatever shape you like. The dough is rolled out just the same as a sugar cookie. They are just ¼ inch thick, which gives them the satisfying crunch of traditional shortbread.
White Chocolate Dipped Cookies
The cooled lemon shortbread cookies are dipped in some white chocolate, which really goes well with the lemon. I knew I wanted something else on top of the chocolate, so I decided to top them with chopped pistachios because of the bright green color. I love the way the pistachios pop against the white background. My five year old did ask why the lemon cookies weren’t yellow, lol. Maybe next time!
Cookies with Pistachio
I used salted & roasted pistachios, and the salt really helped to cut through the sweetness of the white chocolate. Pistachios can be a little expensive, but you will only need a little bit to top all of the lemon shortbread cookies. They add a little something different to make these cookies special. Totally worth it!
OTHER SUGAR COOKIE RECIPES
- Chai Spiced Sugar Cookies
- Lofthouse Style Sugar Cookies
- Lemon Sugar Cookies
- Cream Cheese Sugar Cookies
- Cut Out Sugar Cookies
- Almond Sugar Cookies
- Refrigerated Sugar Cookies
Crisp lemon shortbread cookies dipped in white chocolate and topped with pistachios. A pretty spring cookie bursting with flavor.
- 8 ounces Unsalted Butter Softened
- ¾ Cup granulated sugar
- ¾ Teaspoon Lemon Extract
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- Zest of ½ Lemon
- 2 Cups White Flour
- 1 1/4 cups White Chocolate Chips
- 1 Teaspoon Shortening (optional)
- ¼ Cup Chopped Pistachio Nuts
- In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment cream together the butter and sugar. Add in the lemon extract, salt and zest. Lastly add in the flour, mixing on low until the dough comes together. Shape the dough into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes or up to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll the dough to ¼ inch thick. Cut out with fluted square cutter, or other desired shapes. Place the cookies on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 10-11 minutes or until very lightly browned on the edges.
- Transfer the baked cookies to a cooling rack. Allow to cool completely.
- Melt the white chocolate chips and shortening together in the microwave. Heat for 30 seconds at a time, stirring in between, until completely smooth. The shortening makes the melted chips a little thinner and easier to dip, but it is completely optional.
- Dip half of each cookie in the melted chocolate. Immediately sprinkle with pistachios. Place the finished cookies on a cookie sheet lined with a piece of waxed paper or parchment to finish drying. The process can be sped up by putting the cookies in the refrigerator until the chocolate hardens.