Warm vanilla spiced chai sugar cookies that are rolled in a homemade chai spice blend. Dunk them in a chai latte for a comforting breakfast or snack. If you love sugar cookies, see all of our recipes here.
Spiced Chai Sugar Cookies
Summer break has officially hit our house. We’re done with spring sports and are taking a break from lessons. *Big Sigh…*
I’m so ready for an escape after our busy spring. Summer can often be a hectic time, too, but I’m looking forward to spending more time in our comfortable home, breathing in the fresh air and relaxing with the family.
Have you ever had chai tea? It’s been an Indian tradition for centuries. It’s a black tea blend that is partly sweet and partly spicy.
We created our own chai tea pairing…Spiced Chai Sugar Cookies. We took our classic, bakery-style sugar cookies, gave it a warm vanilla flavor and added chai spices.
The cookies are soft, sweet and warmly spicy. You’re going to love it alongside your chai latte.
The spiced chai sugar cookies are best when you refrigerate the dough for about an hour before you bake them. Make the dough, scoop the dough into 1 1/2″ balls, roll the dough in the special homemade chai spice/sugar mixture, and pop that dough into the refrigerator.
Now it is time to sit back with a chai latte and sip your cares away while you anxiously await those warm cookies. Maybe hop in your hammock or lounge chair on your patio with that book that you just can’t put down.
OTHER SUGAR COOKIE RECIPES
- Chewy Sugar Cookies
- Lofthouse Style Sugar Cookies
- Lemon Sugar Cookies
- Cream Cheese Sugar Cookies
- Cut Out Sugar Cookies
- Almond Sugar Cookies
- Refrigerated Sugar Cookies
Spiced Chai Sugar Cookies
- 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 1/2 cups white granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Chai Spice for Rolling:
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, cardamom and ginger. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Gradually blend in dry ingredients.
- Scoop the dough into about 18 1-1/2" inch balls.
- In a small bowl, combine the ingredients for the chai spice.
- Roll the dough balls in the chai spice and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Slightly flatten the top of each cookie with the bottom of a glass that has been dipped in sugar.*
- Refrigerate the cookies for at least 1 hour.
- Sprinkle the top of the cookies with extra chai spice right before baking.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes, removing the cookies just before the edges get brown.
- Allow the cookies to cool for 5 minutes, then move them to a flat surface to cool.
- Store in an airtight container.