Soft, chewy cream cheese sugar cookies. This easy cut out sugar cookie recipe stays soft because of cream cheese. If you love sugar cookies, see all of our recipes here.
Homemade sugar cookies are a classic. Everyone needs a good recipe and we’ve got several to share with you! These cream cheese sugar cookies are super soft and so easy to make. They’re so delicious topped with a simple powdered sugar frosting.
Although these are flat sugar cookies that don’t rise, we also have a recipe for soft, fluffy buttermilk cut out sugar cookies, and two types of sugar cookies that don’t require cookie cutters….bakery-style and Pillsbury copycat. Sugar cookies for every texture and taste!
Cream Cheese Sugar Cookies with Almond Extract
Although this sugar cookie recipe calls for both vanilla and almond extract, you can use all vanilla if you’d like. Many times when I substitute almond extract for vanilla extract (or add a touch of both), people will ask for the cookie recipe. Why? Because often just one simple change to a traditional recipe makes the cookies just a little bit different. And people love “new” cookies!
How to Make Cream Cheese Sugar Cookies
These cream cheese sugar cookies are so easy to mix up. Make sure the butter and cream cheese are soft, but not melted, for easy mixing.
It’s important to let the dough chill for at least an hour before you roll the cookies and bake them. Simply flatten the dough into a thick disc and wrap it in plastic wrap. This makes for easy fridge storage!
When you are rolling the sugar cookies, be sure not to roll them too thin. You want the dough to be about 1/4″ thick so that the cookies don’t get brown when they bake.
Cream Cheese Sugar Cookies Frosting
Because the flavor of the cookies is simply delicious, I didn’t want to add too much frosting to cover that sweet taste. I mixed up an easy powdered sugar frosting…more like a glaze really, and dolloped a few teaspoons on top of each cookie. Color the frosting to fit the occasion!
These reminded me of old-fashioned sugar cookies that my grandma used to make. True comfort food!
Tools Needed to Make Sugar Cookies
- Silpat: For all of your non-stick, cookie-making needs. This is in the top 3 must-have kitchen tools. I don’t know what I’d do without them!
- Baking Sheet: I like to use flat baking sheets for easy removing baked goods easily.
- Pastry Mat: This silicone mat keeps your cupboard clean and makes rolling out pastries so easy.
- Cookie Plate Set: Display your homemade cookies in style. Everyone thinks this cookie plate is so cute!
OTHER SUGAR COOKIE RECIPES
- Chai Spiced Sugar Cookies
- Lofthouse Style Sugar Cookies
- Cream Cheese Sugar Cookies
- Cut Out Sugar Cookies
- Almond Sugar Cookies
- Refrigerated Sugar Cookies
- Lemon Shortbread Cookies
Soft, chewy cream cheese sugar cookies. This easy cut out sugar cookie recipe stays soft for days.
- 1 cup soft butter (softened)
- 8 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons soft butter
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- Milk to desired consistency
Blend butter and cream cheese.
Add sugar, egg and extracts.
Mix in remaining dry ingredients and blend into the creamed mixture. Chill for 1 hour.
Roll out dough on floured surface until 1/4 inches thick (a must!) . Cut with desired cookie cutter shape and bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes.
Let cookies cool.
Mix all your frosting ingredients and add some food coloring if desired. Frost cookies when cool.
The key to making a good sugar cookie is to make sure that you cut the cookies thick enough and then don't over cook them!