The best cream cheese frosting recipe for your cakes, cupcakes and cookies. Hints for making frosting with the best flavor and texture.
The Best Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
I had to laugh when I was editing these pictures.
I couldn’t tell whether I was looking at pictures of the best cream cheese frosting recipe ever….. or….. mashed potatoes.
It doesn’t matter which it is really. Give me a bowl of either and I could eat it by the spoonful.
We’re not talking mashed potatoes today, though. It’s all about dessert. The best, thick and fluffy cream cheese frosting for cinnamon rolls, red velvet cakes, carrot cakes, and pumpkin spice cakes. It’s also the base to our carrot cake trifle and Reese’s trifle recipes.
And one of my favorite ways to eat it? In between two chocolate chip cookies.
If you’ve never made homemade frosting, this is the recipe to start with. There’s really no way to mess this up. And once you’re hooked on homemade frostings, give these a try:
Best Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 3/4 cup butter softened
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- Using an electric mixer, mix the butter and cream cheese, scraping down the sides as needed, until the mixture is light and fluffy. This will take about 3 minutes.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the powdered sugar, 1/2 a cup at a time, until it is thoroughly mixed.
- Add the vanilla and beat the frosting on medium speed for about 2 minutes.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.