Buttery cookies made with brown sugar. These tender Brown Sugar Butter Cookies are so easy to make! If you love sugar cookies, see all of our recipes here.
It’s Sherri from The Well Floured Kitchen! I’m so glad to be back again at Tastes of Lizzy T’s.
I’m a little bit of a cookie addict. Butter cookies and chocolate chip duke it out for tops in my book. I know, I know, kinda boring. That’s why I love simple tricks that transform those classics into something new.
I have been making these for so long I could practically do it with my eyes closed 🙂 I take my favorite vanilla butter cookie, and swap the sugar for brown sugar. Brown sugar keeps the cookies soft and tender. It also gives the cookie a richer flavor.
I usually debate about what shape to bake these into. I like to avoid rolling and cutting. I tried the criss-cross of fork tines, but that looked so much like traditional peanut butter cookies I had to change it. I went with a single press of the fork, but these could also be pressed down with the bottom of a cup, or even your fingers. The chilled dough prevents much spreading.
Did I mention how easy these Brown Sugar Butter Cookies are?
A great cooking project for the kiddos, who doesn’t like a good sugar cookie? My kids love rolling the balls of dough. I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!
Brown Sugar Butter Cookies
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (10 ounces)
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar (5 ounces)
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup unsalted butter Softened
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup white granulated sugar for rolling
- Cream together the butter and brown sugar in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix again. Add in the egg and vanilla extract, mix until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and baking powder. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and stir just until combined.
- Refrigerate dough for 30-60 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Scoop out dough - approximately 1 1/2 tablespoons- and roll into balls. Roll the balls in the granulated sugar.
- Place onto a parchment paper or silicone baking mat lined cookie sheet. Press down with the tines of a fork.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, rotating halfway through. The edges will just start to be lightly brown.
- Remove to a baking rack to finish cooling.