Lemon cake layered with homemade lemon cream makes up this easy lemon trifle. Bring on the spring with this bright and sunny dessert.
Lemon lovers, I have a treat for you today. How does a simple lemon trifle with layers of lemon cake and creamy lemon filling sound? AMAZING, right!?
This dessert all started when I was looking out of my kitchen window last week and saw our daffodils starting to bloom. It’s only February so the flowers are a little early but it has me feeling like spring is in the air. After daydreaming of warm weather while staring at the flowers, I started to crave lemon. For me, lemon just screams springtime. The tart, bright flavor is one of my favorites.
Growing up my mom always made us delicious trifles like this blueberry trifle and chocolate raspberry trifle. So I decided that a lemon trifle would be the perfect thing to celebrate the daffodils blooming and the beginning of spring.
This trifle begins with your favorite boxed lemon cake. Prepare and bake according to the box. I usually bake my cake in a 9×13 pan but any pan will be fine since it will be eventually cubed. I also like to add a little lemon zest to the batter for a punched up lemon flavor.
For the lemon cream layer start by mixing together lemon jello, water and powdered sugar. Refrigerate for about one hour until the mixture has a syrupy consistency. Add in whipping cream and beat with a mixer for ten minutes or until it starts to stiffen. Then mix in frozen whipped topping and more lemon zest. This lemon cream is so good you could skip the cake and eat it straight from the mixing bowl. Where is my spoon? 🙂
To finish the trifle choose your favorite serving vessel and layer cake, cream, cake, cream. I like making individual trifles but this recipe also works great in a large trifle bowl. Top with extra whipped topping and a few lemon peels.
Impress your friends and family with this simple and delicious spring time dessert. It is a keeper!
Easy Lemon Trifle
- 1 box lemon cake mix plus additional ingredients on the box
- 1 package lemon Jello 3 ounces
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 12 ounces Cool Whip
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- Optional lemon peel for garnish
- Prepare lemon cake according to box directions adding in 1 tablespoon lemon zest to cake batter. Bake and cool completely.
- In a mixer bowl, combine Jello, boiling water and powdered sugar. Stir until completely dissolved.
- Refrigerate the mixture for 1 hour or until syrupy.
- Once syrupy, mix in cream. Beat until cream slightly mounds. Beat in 8 oz Cool Whip and then stir in 1 tablespoon of lemon zest.
- Cut the cake in small cubes before assembling the trifle. Start with adding a layer of cake cubes at the bottom of trifle dish. Next add a layer of lemon cream. Continue layering cake and cream then top with with remaining Cool Whip. I like to top my lemon trifle with a twist of lemon peel.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.