Assembled in only 20 minutes, this Triple Berry Trifle festive, colorful, and impressive! This easy dessert recipe is a simple way to feed a crowd.
This is a delicious triple berry trifle that uses blueberries, raspberries and strawberries. It has layers of berries, pound cake and a whip cream and cream cheese mixture.
This recipe is light, sweet, and fruity. The whipped cream mixture also has a little added lemon zest for some citrus flavor that pairs well with the berries. You’re going to love it!
Why you’ll love this trifle dessert:
- only 20 minutes prep
- uses colorful fresh berries
- use store-bought or homemade pound cake
- creamy & light whipped filling
- feeds a crowd
- a great make ahead dessert
What size trifle dish is best?
Most trifle dishes are about 3 quarts in size. We have this one. You can also use a large glass bowl or punch bowl. You want to see those pretty layers though!
Patriotic Trifle Dessert Layers
Use store bought cake to save time. You can use store bought pound cake if you need something quick. You’ll need about 1 ½ standard-sized loaves. You can also bake your own pound cake using a box mix and many box mixes come with batter for 2 loaves. Or if you are craving homemade, try our homemade pound cake.
**Pro Tip: Freeze your pound cake for a few minutes before you begin the recipe to make it easier to slice. About 30 minutes in the freezer will make the cake firm but not frozen (though you could also freeze it for longer).
Make sure the cream cheese is softened so that it creams nicely with the other ingredients.
The opposite goes for the heavy cream. In order for heavy cream to whip properly, it needs to be very cold. Use a cold, clean bowl and make sure the cream itself is cold for easy whipped cream.
Wash and dry your berries well. If they are wet at all, it can cause the layers to run, making your trifle not quite as pretty. Plan ahead so that the berries can dry.
Can you make this dessert in advance?
Yes! Make this dessert up to one day in advance. Cover it with plastic wrap and store it in the fridge.
Do you have to refrigerate a trifle?
Yes. Because of the fruit and creamy cheese filling, you’ll need to refrigerate the trifle until right before serving.
Variations on this recipe:
One of the best parts of this recipe is that it can be customized. Here are some options:
- You can use different kinds of berries or only one kind.
- Use mascarpone cheese instead of cream cheese. It’s delicious!
- Use white cake or shortcake in place of the pound cake.
- If you love chocolate and fruit, try chocolate cake!
- You can also make individual servings and serve them up in glass pint size mason jars.
Triple Berry Trifle Dessert
- 1 ½ loaves pound cake (store bought or from a box mix)
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 16 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- ¼ cup whole milk
- 1 cup strawberries (sliced)
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup raspberries
- Cut pound cake into 1” cubes. You can use store-bought pound cake or prepare your own. (I used a Betty Crocker Pound Cake Box Mix that makes 2 standard-sized loaves).
- Using a cold bowl and a high speed mixer, whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks form. This will take several minutes. Set aside a few of each type of berry for garnishing.
- In a large bowl, beat together the cream cheese, lemon zest and sugar. Mix in ¼ cup of whole milk. Fold in the whipped cream. The mixture should be thick but spreadable.
- Add cake cubes into the bottom of your trifle dish in 2 layers.
- Top with ½ of each type of berry.
- Top with ½ of the whipped cream mixture.
- Repeat the layers of cake, berries and whipped cream. Top your trifle with a few berries of each kind and a dollop more of whipped cream.