Sweet Cornbread Triple Berry Shortcakes. Triple berries sugared and piled with fluffy clouds of homemade whipped cream. The best shortcake you’ll ever have!
Sweet Cornbread Triple Berry Shortcakes
Hey guys! This is Kathleen from Yummy Crumble. I’m so excited to be working with Julie and Maddie this year by sharing some recipes each month. Stop by my blog to see where I showcase my love for all things sweet and decadent! I have everything from recipes for the beginner baker to those already seasoned in the kitchen.
Now for my new summer favorite. These Sweet Cornbread Triple Berry Shortcakes are the perfect excuse to raid your fridge for berries. The shortcakes are dripping with tons of juicy tart berries but don’t forget the star of this dessert. It’s the moist sweet honey cornbread that will have you coming back for more. I played with the idea of cornbread as strictly a dessert when I made Blueberry Cornbread Cupcakes. They were devoured by everyone within a three foot radius.
I started with the same cornbread cupcake recipe used in the Blueberry Cornbread Cupcakes and sliced them in half after they cooled. You can totally go bigger with a muffin tin instead, which will make for a much more filling dessert. After smothering them in fresh homemade whipped cream, layer the sugared berries on and you have the perfect summer dessert for a cookout or pool party! I definitely say go with homemade whipped cream because the shortcakes will keep their shape much longer than canned whipped cream.
Sweet Cornbread Triple Berry Shortcakes. Triple berries sugared and piled with fluffy clouds of homemade whipped cream. The best shortcake you'll ever have!
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 Tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 4 large eggs beaten
- 21/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup whole sour cream
- 2 cups regular or heavy whipping cream cold
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups raspberries blackberries, and sliced strawberries
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare your cupcake pan by using liners or just spraying with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In another bowl mix the vegetable oil, melted butter, honey, beaten eggs, sour cream and milk, and stir just until combined.
- Marry the dry with the moist until fully incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the baking cups 2/3 full and bake in 350 degree oven for 25 minutes.
- Set aside to cool.
- Before whipping the cream, place your large metal bowl and whisk attachment in the freezer for about 5 minutes.
- Pour cream and sugar in the bowl and whip until stiff peaks form.
- In a medium bowl, toss together the berries and sugar until coated.
- Let stand for about 10-15 minutes.
- Slice each cooled cupcake or muffin in half.
- First pipe the bottom with whipped cream and top with berries.
- Place the other half of the cupcake on top and pipe more whipped cream and add more berries.