Breakfast and dessert heavens collide with this Donut Strawberry Shortcake. Strawberries in syrup top a sliced donut, soaking in to make the easiest shortcake ever!
Are you craving strawberry shortcake? If so, we have an excellent homemade crumb shortcake that you’ll love. With that is shortcake pancakes, scones and cheesecake bars. We LOVE shortcake around here.
Donut Strawberry Shortcake
Once upon a time I was
wasting time working on my Instagram feed, scrolling through cheesy pizzas, steaming soup, and chocolatey cookies. (My Instagram feed is full of food. And beaches. It doesn’t get much better than those two things.)
Now I’m 100% recommending our own version of 100% homemade strawberry shortcake, but because I adore donuts so much that I could marry them, these donut strawberry shortcakes were just something I had to try.
I don’t have a homemade donut recipe on Tastes of Lizzy T. There’s a reason or two why.
1. Bakery donuts are so delicious…why mess with a good thing?
2. Do you know the kind of problems I’d have if I was able to recreate these on a whim at home??
Easy Strawberry Shortcake
I wouldn’t be able to run enough miles to burn off the amount of donuts that I’d be eating on a near daily basis. So making donuts is not really even on my radar. Although I do think it would be awesome to conquer a homemade cake donut with warm glaze dripping off. Maybe I’ve convinced myself. Don’t judge me if you see a recipe on the blog sometime in the future.
So instead of creating my own homemade donuts, I stopped at our favorite bakery, picked up some whole wheat cake donuts (whole wheat means healthy, right?) and sliced them in half.
I topped the half with sugared strawberries, whipped cream, the other donut half and more whipped cream.
The easiest strawberry shortcake around.
And since donuts are breakfast foods, this is totally acceptable for breakfast, right?
This recipe calls for macerating strawberries. Sprinkle sugar over fresh cut strawberries and you’ll end up with delicious strawberries in juice. Honestly…with the sweet glazed donut, you could skip soaking the strawberries in sugar. You could also make a strawberry topping if you’d like.
If you are desperate for homemade donuts, a quick Google search will land you with more recipes than you can handle.
Q: Do you have a favorite homemade donut recipe? If you’re willing to share it, send it our way! We’ll give it a try and if it works for us we’ll feature it on TOLT!
Other Strawberry Recipes
- Strawberry Crumb Bars
- Sweet Cornbread Shortcakes
- Patriotic Cake
- Homemade Strawberry Cake
- Strawberry Milkshakes
Donut Strawberry Shortcake
- 2 pounds strawberries
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 6-8 cake donuts
- Whipped cream
- At least 4 hours before serving the shortcakes, wash, hull and quarter the strawberries.
- Place them in a bowl and stir in the sugar to coat the strawberries.
- Cover the strawberries and place them in the refrigerator.
- When you are ready to serve the shortcakes, slice the donuts in half and place the bottom half of each donut on a plate.
- Top with strawberries, whipped cream, the other donut half, then more whipped cream and strawberries, if desired.
- Serve immediately.