This Red White and Blue Berry Cake is filled with fresh raspberries and blueberries and takes just a few minutes of prep time to get in the oven.
RED WHITE AND BLUE BERRY CAKE
If you have visited my blog you are likely familiar with my French Strawberry Cake. It is my most popular recipe. People all across the country have made it. The cake is so simple to make and is filled with beautiful, fresh strawberries. It’s a recipe that gets rave reviews.
So I decided to take that cake recipe and turn it into the perfect patriotic dessert. I swapped out the strawberries for a mixture of blueberries and raspberries. And now I can’t decide which version is my favorite. Seriously! They are both so delicious. The cake is custard-like in the middle but has a crackly, sugar-coated top. It’s kind of like a berry shortcake but all in one pan.
And speaking of one pan that is another other reason this is such a great dessert to make and take somewhere. This cake is meant to be cut and served directly out of the pan it was baked in. I use a 9-inch silver round baking pan like this one. Cut, serve and top with whipped cream and more fresh berries.
This cake is just bursting with fresh berry flavor. And it’s just the right set of colors for any patriotic celebration. Don’t you just want to dig in?
Looking for more simple patriotic dessert ideas? Check out these recipes over at my blog, Foodtastic Mom:
Red White and Blue Berry Cake
- 1 stick unsalted butter , softened
- 1 ¼ cup granulated sugar , divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoons salt
- ½ cup full-fat sour cream
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- Plus whipped cream and more fresh berries for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9-inch round cake pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whip together the butter and 1 cup of the sugar until pale and fluffy, about five minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Gradually add the flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition.
- Gently fold in the fresh blueberries and raspberries to the cake batter using a rubber spatula. Spread the batter in the prepared cake pan.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar evenly over the top of the cake batter.
- Bake 35-40 minutes, until the top is crackly and lightly browned and the center still jiggles just a bit.
- Let the cake cool completely in the pan and slice and serve the cake from the pan.
- Top each cake slice with whipped cream and more fresh blueberries and raspberries.