A buttery crumb topping goes on the bottom and the top of these easy Strawberry Crumb Bars. Use fresh strawberries for an easy summer dessert that is ready in under 1 hour. It’s like strawberry shortcake in a bar! You may also love our strawberry pancakes.
Strawberry Crumb Bars Recipe
I don’t know about where you live, but in Ohio, strawberry season is in full swing. Strawberry festivals are going on, farmer’s markets are selling beautiful big, ripe berries, and grocery stores have berries on sale for 99 cents a pound. That can only mean one thing…you bake everything with fresh strawberries! Our blueberry crumble bars are a favorite, so we thought strawberry crumb bars would be a hit, too.
In many crumb bar recipes, the base of the bar is also the crumb topping. This recipe is no different. Mix up the crumb mixture, then press half of it into the bottom of a foil-lined 8×8 pan (be sure to spray the foil with cooking spray so the bars come out easily). Then mix up your strawberry filling, spread it over the bottom layer and then top the strawberries with the remaining crumbs. It’s like a strawberry crumb sandwich…which would be my favorite kind of sandwich!
Fresh Strawberry Filling
The fresh strawberry filling in this easy bar recipe is simply fresh strawberries, sugar and corn starch. Don’t forget the cornstarch.That is what will thicken the strawberry filling just a little bit to make the bars stay together. If you’d like, you can use tapioca starch or arrowroot starch.
Fresh Strawberry Dessert
This easy strawberry dessert is perfect when you are craving something sweet because it makes just a small amount. There is enough for you to sample, plus share with a friend! They are a great take along dessert for summer picnics, potlucks and reunions.
Other Strawberry Recipes
- Strawberry Shortcake Pancakes
- Strawberry Shortcake Scones
- Strawberry Shortcake Cheesecake
- Donut Strawberry Shortcake
- Strawberry Bread
Tools to Make This Recipe
- Pastry Cutter: I use this tool all the time. It cuts butter into flour perfectly for streusels, crusts and other pastries.
- 8×8 Cake Pan: For small cakes and casseroles.
- Strawberry Slicer: Get perfectly sliced strawberries to decorate your desserts.
Strawberry Crumb Bars
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter (cold)
- 1 pound fresh strawberries diced up
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare a 8x8 baking dish by lining it with foil or parchment paper allowing the edges to overhang the pan for easy removal. Then, spray the lining with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, add the ½ cup sugar, flour, baking powder and salt and mix until combined. Then, add the egg and vanilla. Mix well.
- Cut the cold butter into the flour mixture until it is crumbly.
- Take half of the flour mixture and pack it down in the bottom of your pan. Reserve the remaining crumbs for the topping.
- In a small bowl, combine your diced strawberries, 1/3 cup sugar and cornstarch. Mix until the strawberries are coated well. Spread the strawberry mix top over the bottom layer in the pan and spread out evenly.
- Sprinkle the rest of your flour mixture evenly over the top of your strawberries.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until the top is golden brown. Allow to cool completely before cutting.