Cookie batter cake is full of white chocolate, semi-sweet chocolate chips, nuts and topped with chocolate frosting. Kids and adults will love this Chocolate Chip Snack Cake!
Chocolate Chip Snack Cake
You guys. This recipe. It’s soooo good. Like, I-had-to-share-it-so-I-didn’t-eat-all-of-it good. It’s like a thick, homemade, chocolate chip cookie, full of white chocolate chips, semi-sweet chocolate chips and pecans. And it’s like a cake, topped with rich and creamy chocolate frosting. My frosting and I are inseparable, so really anything with a thick layer of frosting on top is a huge winner for this girl.
This snack cake was actually another of those almost-failure recipes. I found a recipe in my Amish cookbook for “Jubilee Jumbles”. They were packed with nuts and chocolate chips, and since it is officially Christmas baking season I need to test more Christmas cookie recipes, ya know?
It only took about about 5 minutes to mix up the batter. The batter was much more runny than I was expecting. Not at all like cookie dough, but almost like cake batter. The recipe called for refrigerating the dough, but I knew that even with the hour this dough would spend chillin’ out in the fridge, it would still produce a very “cakey” cookie. And I am generally not a cakey-cookie-character. How’d you like that alliteration? Every now and then the English teacher in me peeks through.
Since the cookie “dough” was actually more like cake batter, I decided that baking it in an 8×8 cake pan might make this a recipe that I’d like.
And I was right.
Now don’t get me wrong. The cake itself is not a light and fluffy cake. Think of it as more of a thick, heavier cake that somewhat resembles a cakey-cookie.
I took a shortcut for the chocolate frosting and used store-bought frosting. If you are a homemade only frosting kind of person, by all means….try this one. It will taste amazing. Because of how simple these bars are to whip up, I wanted to keep things simple and have a ready-to-spread frosting. Top it with chopped pecans and more white or chocolate chips for a pretty finish to your snack cake.
This chocolate chip snack cake is made in a small 8×8 pan, which is really a good thing because it is so irresistable.
Just consider the small cake as me helping you with your healthy eating plan.
You’re welcome. 🙂
Chocolate Chip Snack Cake
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk 2% or higher
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts walnuts or pecans
- 3/4 cup white chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate frosting
- Extra chocolate chips and chopped nuts for decorating the top if desired
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium size bowl, mix together the butter, sugar and eggs. Stir in the milk and vanilla. Add the flour, baking soda and salt. Mix well. Then fold in the nuts and chocolate chips.
- Spray an 8x8 pan with cooking spray. Pour the batter into the pan and bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool and then frost the top with chocolate frosting. Sprinkle nuts and chocolate chips on the top, if desired.