Learn how to make the creamiest homemade strawberry milkshake with fresh strawberries. Top with homemade whipped cream for a delicious summer dessert! You may also love our ultimate ice cream pie.
Is a milkshake a dessert?
Yes! Milkshakes make a great summer dessert. For summer picnics, I always try to think of something fun to make rather than traditional desserts that take a lot of prep time in advance. Root beer floats, brownies and ice cream…and homemade milkshakes! Buy several different types of ice cream and toppings to allow people to create their own milkshake drinks.
What are the ingredients to make a milkshake?
Milkshakes of course have ice cream as the main ingredients. Then, to make the milkshake “drinkable”, you add cream and milk. We recommend adding heavy cream because it will make your milkshake rich and creamy. If you’d like, you can use lower fat milk or half and half, but know that for the best taste, we recommend full fat.
Add a touch of vanilla and fresh strawberries (or your other favorite fruit) for a deliciously flavored milkshake.
How to Make a Strawberry Milkshake
Making a milkshake is as easy as pie!
Here are the steps to ensure the best results:
- Freeze the glasses that you’ll serve the shakes in so that they stay cold and don’t melt too quickly.
- Allow the ice cream to soften slightly. You don’t want it runny, but allowing it to become just a little soft will help it blend easily.
- Add the ice cream, milk, cream and vanilla to the mixer. Add in any fruit (strawberries!) or other mix-ins such as chocolate or caramel.
- Blend until smooth! We use a Ninja blender because they are strong, big and powerful.
Homemade Whipped Cream
A milkshake isn’t a milkshake without homemade whipped cream! Be sure you start with cold whipping cream for the best results. Beat the cream, vanilla and sugar together in a clean (grease-free!) mixing bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment. Beat until stiff peaks form, then spoon it on top of the milkshakes before serving.
Other Strawberry Desserts
Tools for this Recipe
- KitchenAid Stand Mixer: The best mixer for whipping cream!
- Ninja Food Processor: This blender/food processor system can do it all! We use ours for everything from smoothies to milkshakes to crushing ice to chopping veggies.
- Strawberry Slicer: Get perfectly sliced strawberries to decorate your desserts.
- Milkshake Glasses: Serve your ice cream milkshakes in style!
Learn how to make the creamiest homemade strawberry milkshakes with fresh strawberries. Top with homemade whipped cream for a delicious summer dessert!
- 24 ounces slightly softened strawberry ice cream (1/2 of a 1.5 quart carton)
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream (very cold)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon sugar
Add the cream, vanilla and sugar to a medium bowl.
Whip with a stand or hand mixer until stiff peaks form. Keep refrigerated until ready to use.
Blend the ice cream, heavy cream, milk, vanilla and strawberries in a large blender until smooth and creamy.
Pour into 4 large glasses and top with whipped cream and extra strawberries if desired.
The calories shown are based on the recipe making 4 milkshakes, with 1 serving being 1 milkshake topped with whipped cream. Since different brands of ingredients have different nutritional information, the calories shown are just an estimate.