Instant Pot Baked Beans: Sweet homemade baked bean recipe made in the Instant Pot! Start with dry pinto beans and end up with bacon filled from scratch baked beans. You may also love our Instant Pot rib recipe.
Instant Pot Baked Beans Recipe
Can you cook dry beans in a pressure cooker?
I’ll be honest. I never bought dry beans to cook before making this recipe. It just seemed like too much work. But the fact that I can throw dry beans, along with water, in the Instant Pot and have cooked beans in 60 minutes sold me. It’s no-fuss and couldn’t be easier.
Do I need to soak beans before pressure cooking?
Soaking beans before cooking (for at least 4 hours) dissolves some of the indigestible sugars that can cause gas. We don’t always presoak the beans and it is not 100% necessary for this recipe. You can test both ways and see which you like best.
It is important to rise the beans before cooking them though. Check for any small pieces debris that may be in with the beans.
How to Make Baked Beans in the Instant Pot
There are two methods to make these beans. The first method is made entirely in the Instant Pot. Cook the beans, cook the bacon, then add all of the ingredients together and cook again. Although much of this method is hands off while you wait for everything to cook, you will need to plan about 2 hours total.
The second method is to use the oven to cook the bacon while the beans are cooking in the Instant Pot. You can make this recipe even faster if you use canned pinto beans. If you choose this method, start at the step where you cook the bacon and onion together.
Homemade Bacon Baked Beans
What makes baked beans over the top good? Bacon. Don’t skip the bacon in these baked beans. Or if you don’t like bacon, use a 1/2 a pound of sausage to add a little flavor (brown the sausage just as you cooked the bacon).
The meat definitely adds a depth of flavor to homemade baked beans.
Other Bean Side Dishes
- Three Bean Baked Beans
- Slow Cooker Baked Beans
- Italian Green Beans
- Christmas Green Beans
- Green Bean Casserole
Need an Instant Pot? Get the one we have here.
Instant Pot Baked Beans
- 1 pound pinto beans
- 6 cups water
- 1 onion (diced)
- 1 ½ tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ½ tablespoons vinegar I used white wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup molasses
- ¾ cup ketchup
- 6 -8 slices bacon
- Wash beans and remove any small rocks.
- Place beans and water into Instant Pot. Seal the lid and set timer for 60 minutes.
- Allow to depressurize naturally.
- Remove beans and drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the liquid.
- Place the pot back in the Instant Pot and set to saute.
- Saute bacon and diced onion in the pot until the bacon is crisp.
- Remove bacon and cut into pieces and set aside.
- Replace the ½ cup bean liquid and deglaze the pot. Add the beans back to the pot.
- Add the remaining ingredients in no particular order.
- Place cut up bacon back into pot and stir till combined.
- Close lid and set timer for 30 minutes manual, high pressure.
- Natural depressurize.
- Serve warm.