Take the stress out of dinner with this Kale Tomato Skillet Lasagna. With fresh mozzarella cheese, kale, tomatoes and pasta, this 20 minute recipe will be a family favorite.
I’ve discovered something lately. Kale really isn’t all that bad. Especially if you cook it into a pasta dish or make it into a soup.
I decided to create this Kale & Tomato Skillet Lasagna because on the nights I have to meal plan I am always on the hunt for something easy. I knew I liked our quick Italian skillet chicken, so another skillet dinner needed to happen.
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- With this dish the stress is taken away by throwing all of the ingredients into your skillet for a delicious dish.
- Delicious flavors of fresh tomatoes and kale, plus ground beef.
- Top with fresh mozzarella for a little creaminess.
- Dinner ready in about 20 minutes. It also makes an easy lunch.
How to Make Kale Tomato Skillet Lasagna
- Start out your dish by sautéing onions and garlic. Recently I was introduced to frozen, pre-chopped onions. This may not be for everyone but I hate chopping onions so having those on hand has made my life that much easier.
- Once your onions are cooked then you brown your ground beef, if you’re more of a sausage person you could swap ground beef for sausage. I however prefer the ground beef. Add in your oregano and chili flakes, you can adjust the chili flakes to your taste preference. Once the ground beef is cooked you will drain the grease and set the beef aside.
- Next you’ll want to cook your chopped kale until it wilts. Add in a splash of water if the kale isn’t cooking down. Then you’ll want to add in your chopped tomatoes and cook until the tomatoes begin to break down. Add about 1/4 cup water if you feel it needs more liquid.
- While the ground beef is browning, cook your pasta according to package directions and drain.
- Then mix your pasta in with the ground beef mixture and mix in 4 ounces of fresh mozzarella torn into small pieces.
- Top the pasta dish with the remaining mozzarella cheese and put in the oven under broil for 3-5 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Use any pasta shape you’d like. Banza pasta works great too if you’re looking for gluten free.
- Try Italian sausage for more spice.
- Add sliced zucchini.
- Top the fresh mozzarella with slices of pepperoni for a pizza skillet.
Make it a Meal
I love that this skillet casserole has pasta, protein and vegetables. If you don’t have time for any sides, it’s ok! They are all included. Need a couple of sides? Try one of these:
Kale Tomato Skillet Lasagna
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 cups kale chopped
- 2 tomatoes diced
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 6 ounces penne pasta
- 6 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese torn into small pieces
- Sauté olive oil, onion and garlic over medium low heat until onions are tender.
- Add ground beef to skillet and cook until done, drain grease and set ground beef aside.
- While the beef is browning, bring a pot of water to a boil and cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Cook kale in skillet until wilted, add a splash or two of water if it’s not wilting.
- Add tomatoes to kale in skillet and cook until tomatoes begin to break down. Add 1/4 cup of water if needed to help tomatoes cook.
- Add in oregano and return ground beef to the pan.
- Mix in cooked pasta and half of the mozzarella cheese.
- Mix everything together well in the skillet and top with remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Heat the oven to broil and place in oven for 3-5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.