Take the stress out of dinner with this Kale Tomato Skillet Lasagna. With fresh mozzarella cheese, kale, tomatoes and pasta it will be a family favorite.
I’ve discovered something lately. Kale really isn’t all that bad. Especially if you cook it into a pasta dish, then it can become downright delicious. My husband and I have been trying a meal delivery service lately to help counteract the stress of meal planning. With a 10 month old to chase after so I decided to outsource a few of the things that gave me the most stress. So for four meals a week we have fresh ingredients delivered to our house and it’s made me really step out of my box and try new things, like kale!
I decided to create this Kale & Tomato Skillet Lasagna because on the nights I have to meal plan I am always on the hunt for something easy and quick like my One Pot 10 Minute Chicken and Broccoli Pasta. Since we loved that dish so much I knew I wanted to try another skillet meal.
Pasta is one of my favorite dishes to make and I love the ease of a skillet lasagna. With this dish the stress is taken away by using penne pasta (or any pasta you have on hand) and the fact that you just throw all of the ingredients into your skillet for a delicious dish.
Start out your dish by sautéing onions and garlic. Recently I was introduced to frozen, pre-chopped onions. This may not be for everyone but I hate chopping onions so having those on hand has made my life that much easier.
Once your onions are cooked then you brown your ground beef, if you’re more of a sausage person you could swap ground beef for sausage. I however prefer the ground beef. Add in your oregano and chili flakes, you can adjust the chili flakes to your taste preference. Once the ground beef is cooked you will drain the grease and set the beef aside.
Next you’ll want to cook your chopped kale until it wilts. Add in a splash of water if the kale isn’t cooking down. Then you’ll want to add in your chopped tomatoes and cook until the tomatoes begin to break down. Add about 1/4 cup water if you feel it needs more liquid.
Meanwhile cook your pasta according to package directions and drain. Then mix your pasta in with the ground beef mixture and mix in 4 oz of fresh mozzarella torn into small pieces.
Top the pasta dish with the remaining mozzarella cheese and put in the oven under broil for 3-5 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
I love how easy this dish is and delicious. I made it to enjoy for my lunch for the week or it is perfect for dinner as well. I’d love to hear if you have a favorite pasta dish?
Take the stress out of dinner with this Kale; Tomato Skillet Lasagna. With fresh mozzarella cheese, kale, tomatoes and pasta it will be a family favorite.
- Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 cups kale chopped
- 2 Tomatoes diced
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 6 oz Penne Pasta
- 6 oz fresh Mozzarella cheese torn into small pieces
- Sauté olive oil, onion and garlic until onions are tender.
- Add ground beef to skillet and cook until done, drain grease and set ground beef aside.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Cook kale in skillet until wilted, add a splash or two of water if it’s not wilting.
- Add tomatoes to kale in skillet and cook until tomatoes begin to break down. Add 1/4 cup of water if it needs it to help tomatoes cook.
- Add in oregano and return ground beef to the pan.
- Mix in cooked pasta and half of the mozzarella cheese.
- Mix everything together well in the skillet and top with remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Heat the oven to Broil and place in oven for 3-5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
You might also like: