Spanish Peanut Cookies. You’ll love these sweet and salty cookies made with spanish peanuts and potato chips. Throw in whatever kind of baking chips that you’d like!
Today I’m sharing with you a classic cookie, but it’s a cookie that is full of ingredients you’ll love. Oatmeal, potato chips, Spanish peanuts, white chocolate chips. Yes…all of those glorious things packed into one cookie.
I adapted this recipe from an old cookbook of my grandmother’s. What caught my eye? The fact that they had Spanish peanuts in them. I love Spanish peanuts! I make a trail mix for our fall vacation using raisins, M&M’s and Spanish peanuts. For some reason those peanuts with the red skin half on and half off just make the perfect snack for me. I knew as soon as I saw the name of the cookie that it would be on my “to bake” list!
So I obviously love these Spanish Peanut Cookies because of the peanuts inside, but here’s the other fun parts of this cookie.
1. It calls for only brown sugar. No white sugar at all. The brown sugar brings moisture and such a rich taste to the cookie.
2. There’s oatmeal in there. That makes them heart-healthy, right? 😉
3. Crushed potato chips. Ok…scratch that healthy part. The original recipe called for cornflakes, which you could totally do. I personally love the sweet and salty combination of white chocolate and potato chips (seen here), so switching up the cornflakes for the potato chips was a given.
4. White chocolate chips. I happened to have some pink and yellow mini chips in my candy cupboard, so that’s what we used. Feel free to use chocolate chips, butterscotch chips or even peanut butter chips. Whatever you fancy…or whatever you need to use up!
Spanish Peanut Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup crushed potato chips
- 1 cup quick cooking oats
- 1/2 cup salted Spanish peanuts include red skins
- 1 cup white chocolate chips divided
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar. Beat in the egg. Add the flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Mix well. Add in the potato chips, oats, peanuts and 3/4 cup white chocolate chips. Mix just until combined.
- Place teapoons of dough on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes. Allow the cookies to sit on the cookie sheet for 3 minutes, then move them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Melt the remaining 1/4 cup white chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl. White chocolate burns easily. Melt this slowly, in 10-15 second intervals, stirring in between until just melted. Drizzle the melted chocolate over the cookies.
- After the chocolate has set, store the cookies in an airtight container.