Classic Yogurt Streusel Coffee Cake is the perfect make-ahead dessert to serve alongside a cup of coffee. Easy coffee cake recipe for holiday entertaining!
Yogurt Streusel Coffee Cake
I’m not going to lie. I’m slightly addicted to coffee. Coffee in the morning is a must. I’m notorious for filling up on coffee and forgetting to eat breakfast. Coffee in the afternoon? Perfect. Especially on these cold days. And then there’s not much more comforting than a cup of coffee after dinner. I mostly drink decaf and that is why I tell myself that this coffee habit is totally acceptable.
Coffee with dessert is a must when we are entertaining. Today I’m sharing with you one of our favorite coffee cakes that pairs perfectly with a freshly brewed cup of coffee. Yogurt Streusel Coffee Cake.
Substitute Sour Cream for Yogurt
Why yogurt? My mom’s original recipe called for sour cream. We’ve enjoyed this recipe made with sour cream for years. I switched it up for you and substituted plain Greek yogurt for the sour cream. I like to think that substitution makes the recipe just a little more healthy. After all, Greek yogurt is full of protein and lower in fat than sour cream. And you’ll never miss the sour cream!
This classic cinnamon coffee cake is thick, but so moist. I love that it is best served the day after you make it. Recipes that get better when they sit are so helpful during busy times and hosting guests. No need to make this coffee cake seem like it is “fresh from the oven” since it is better eaten the next day!
This video below shows the cake with sour cream, but just substitute Greek yogurt for the sour cream!
Classic Yogurt Streusel Coffee Cake is the perfect make-ahead dessert to serve alongside a cup of coffee. Great for guests!
- 1 cup butter softened
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a tube/bundt pan.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter, sugar and eggs. Fold in the yogurt and vanilla carefully. Add the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Spoon half of the batter into the prepared pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the streusel ingredients. Sprinkle the streusel over the batter.
- Spoon the remaining batter over the streusel.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool for at least 35 minutes. Using a knife, loosen the edges of the cake from the pan.
- Turn the cake out onto a plate. Cover until serving.
- This cake is best when made the day before serving.
The calories shown are based on the cake being cut into 12 pieces, with 1 serving being 1 slice of cake. Since different brands of ingredients have different nutritional information, the calories shown are just an estimate.