The best butterscotch coffee cake with cinnamon streusel topping made with a boxed yellow cake mix and pudding mixes. You’ll love how easy this is!
I call this cake the diet killer.
If there is one cake I cannot resist, it is this one. A few months ago we were doing no-sugar diet for a few weeks before a vacation we had coming up. I made this cake, took it to church and came home with several pieces left. Although I resisted having any at church just fine, I totally caved once I got home. The family devoured those last pieces faster than you’d believe!
This easy butterscotch coffee cake is a super moist cake with a most delicious cinnamon butterscotch flavor. It’s easy because it calls for a box cake mix and two pudding mixes, which give it the ultimate flavor and moistness! You know of our love for from-scratch recipes, but box mixes allow for quick recipes that have such versatility. This butterscotch coffee cake is quick when you are short on time but full of down-home flavor.
Perfect with a cup of coffee…decaf for me, of course!
Here’s what you’ll do to make this butterscotch coffee cake.
Mix together 1 yellow boxed cake mix, 4 eggs, 1 cup of oil, 1 cup of water, 1 small box of instant vanilla pudding and 1 small box of instant butterscotch pudding.
Beat on medium speed for about 2-3 minutes. The batter will look thick and smooth.
If you have a stand mixer (I love my stand mixer for this very reason!), you can make the brown sugar streusel topping while the batter is mixing. In a separate bowl, simply mix together 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1 cup chopped walnuts and 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon.
Pour 1/2 the batter into a greased 9×13 pan and layer with 1/2 the topping.
Then repeat the layers!
Bake at 325 degrees for about 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Enjoy the smell of cinnamon coming from your oven while it bakes! I wish I could magically wake up to this kind of breakfast every morning.
Although this recipe is delicious warm from the oven, I also think it is one of those recipes that gets more mouth-watering as it sits. Don’t be afraid to make this up ahead of time. It will still be soft and moist!
Easy Butterscotch Coffee Cake
- 1 box yellow cake mix (dry)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 small package instant butterscotch pudding (3.4 ounces)
- 1 small package instant vanilla pudding (3.4 ounces)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Mix the dry cake mix, eggs, water, oil and dry pudding mixes together in a stand mixer for 2-3 minutes.
- In a separate small bowl, combine the brown sugar, cinnamon and pecans to make the streusel.
- Grease a 9x13" pan and pour in 1/2 the cake batter. Sprinkle 1/2 of the streusel topping over the cake batter. Repeat the layers.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.