Breakfast, brunch or dessert, this easy cherry coffee cake is easy to make! A homemade cake pairs with canned pie filling…choose whatever pie filling you’d like! You may also like our cherry layered jello.
Cherry Coffee Cake Recipe
Today I’m sharing with you one of the easiest breakfast cakes around: Cherry Coffee Cake. Cherry pie is one of my favorite desserts, so the fact that I can use this cake as an excuse to eat something like cherry pie for breakfast? It’s brilliant!
Easy Breakfast Cake
The base of this cake is homemade. You’ll mix up the flour, sugar, butter, baking powder and salt. Mix it up until you have crumbles, then set aside 1/2 cup of the crumbles. This will be the streusel that you’ll sprinkle on top of the cake before you bake it. Easy, peasy!
Cherry Pie Filling
We used can of cherry pie filling in this recipe, but feel free to use blueberry, apple or even a lemon pie filling. the possibilities are endless.
This cake is delicious served for breakfast alongside a cup of coffee, but is also good for a dessert!
Other Coffee Cake Recipes
Cherry Coffee Cake
For the Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter (melted)
- ½ cup milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 21 ounces cherry pie filling (1 can)
For the Glaze Drizzle
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 3-4 tablespoons milk
Make the Cake
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and prepare a 9x13 baking dish with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter. Mix with a fork until it’s crumbled. Then, set aside ½ cup of the crumbles.
- In another bowl, mix together the milk, vanilla and eggs. Then, pour the liquid mixture into the large bowl of crumbles. Mix until well combine, will be thick and lumpy.
- Pour the batter into the baking dish and spread out with a spatula. Pour the cherry pie filling over the top and then spread the remaining crumbles on top.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10-15 minutes and serve warm or chilled.
Make the Glaze
- This cake is delicious with or without a glaze. A drizzle of a glaze icing just takes it to the next level. Try it both ways!