You’ll fall in love with these soft, chewy, chocolate chip butterscotch cookie bars. Quicker than cookies, these sweet bars are stuffed with dark brown sugar, chocolate chips and pecans.
I’ve got a simple, no-mixer-needed recipe for you today. It’s all the wonderfulness of a chocolate chip cookie in a bar form, which makes it quick and easy.
What makes this a butterscotch cookie recipe if there is no butterscotch chips inside? It’s the comination of very soft, almost melted butter and dark brown sugar. I fell in love with dark brown sugar this past winter when I found it in the store. It’s hard to find around us when it is not baking season, so I stocked up. I used the last little bit I had when I made these bars.
The flavor is deep, rich and sweet. So good.
The texture is soft, moist and chewy. The best.
As if the flavor and texture alone wasn’t enough to convince you to make these chocolate chip butterscotch cookie bars today, they’re also very easy. Because the recipe uses nearly melted butter, there’s no need for a stand mixer or hand held mixer. The ingredients will come together easily enough without it.
These chocolate chip butterscotch bars are perfect for school lunches, picnics and bake sales. And can you imagine these, freshly baked from the oven with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top?
Mmmm…..It puts a smile on my face!
Chocolate Chip Butterscotch Cookie Bars
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 cup butter very soft (almost melted)
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Spray an 8x8 pan with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the sugar and melted butter. Add the egg and vanilla. Stir until the mixture is completely combined and smooth.
- Add the flour mixture, pecans and chocolate chips.
- Mix just until combined, being careful not to overmix.
- Spread this mixture in the prepared 8x8 pan.
- Bake for 35 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. The center should still be soft.
- Cut into bars.
- Store in an airtight container.
Recipe slightly adapted from Mrs. Fields Best Ever Cookie Book