If you love sugar cookies, try these frosted Sugar Cookie Bars! Spread the cookie batter in a sheet cake pan for an easy party dessert. If you love sugar cookies, see all of our recipes here.
Sugar Cookie Bars Recipe
I’m a sucker for a good sugar cookie. By the amount of sugar cookie recipes we have on this site, you all know that. When I think of a dessert, my mind often goes to chocolate, but I can never, ever pass up a sugar cookie bar. The good news? Sugar cookie bars are easy. Much easier than rolling out cookie dough or even scooping cookies onto a baking sheet to bake individually.
How to Make Sugar Cookie Bars
Now that I’ve convinced you to make sugar cookie bars, here’s how to do it!
- Make the cookie dough just like you would any other. Cream together the butter and sugar, and add the eggs and flavor extracts. Mix the dry ingredients, then add them into the wet ingredients and mix until combined.
- For this recipe you’ll need a 17×12″ sheet pan. Spray it with cooking spray (and you can also line it with parchment paper if you’d like), then press the cookie dough into the pan.
- Bake the cookie bars at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 15-20 minutes. You do not want to overbake this recipe. The cookie bars are best when you don’t allow them to brown at all. This will make for a chewy sugar cookie bar that is soft and delicious!
How do you decorate sugar cookie bars?
We make a simple buttercream frosting for these bars. You can color the frosting any color you’d like or even just leave it white. You could also do a dusting of powdered sugar and fresh fruit if you’d like to lower the calories.
Or if you’d really like to make them easy, use 1 tub of store-bought frosting. Easy!
How do you store sugar cookie bars?
These cookie bars freeze well, but if you are going to be eating them within 48 hours, you can store them in an airtight container at room temperature.
Other Sugar Cookie Recipes
- Cut Out Sugar Cookies
- Cream Cheese Sugar Cookies
- Chai Sugar Cookies
- Lemon Sugar Cookies
- Brown Sugar Cookies
- Chewy Sugar Cookies
- Almond Sugar Cookies
Sugar Cookie Bars
For the Cookie Bars:
- 1 1/2 cups butter (softened)
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs (room temperature)
- 1 teapsoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
For the Frosting:
- 1 cup butter (softened)
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3-4 tablespoons heavy cream
- food coloring and sprinkles (optional)
Make the Cookie Batter:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 17x12 rimmed cookie sheet with non-stick spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until creamy.
- Add in the eggs, vanilla and almond extracts, and then mix until well combined.
- In a small bowl, whisk the flour, salt and baking powder together. Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Mix just until the dough is well combined. Do not overmix!
- Press the cookie dough evenly into the greased cookie sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes. (My oven took about 17 minutes. Try not to let the cookie bars brown. If the edges start to brown, remove from oven immediately.)
- Cool the bars on a wire rack.
Make the Frosting
- In a stand mixer bowl, with the mixer on medium speed, whip the butter for 2 minutes until it is almost white in color.
- Add in the powdered sugar, vanilla and 3 tablespoons milk.
- Beat on low speed for 3-5 minutes, adding in the last tablespoon of milk if the buttercream needs to be thinner.
- Add in food coloring if you'd like and mix well.
- Once the cookie bars are cool, frost the bars and decorate.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature.